Bettas, Microrasboras Or Endlers?

Which should I choose - Bettas, Mircorasboras or Endlers for a 30L tank?

• A male betta

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Endlers

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Microrasboras

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

LoachLover!

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
After Christmas, I am hoping that I will be able to set up my spare 30L (8 Gallon) aquarium. I am unsure however as to what I want in there.

I have narrowed it down to the following choices:

Endlers

OR

A Betta

OR

Mircorasboras (Chilli rasboras are my favourite)

I am in love with all of them and cannot decide, so I would love to know your favourites, and what makes them your favourites overall :)

Thanks!

I love the look of the wild type bettas and their colouring looks pretty awesome. Here's a link to some: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/408699-my-wild-collection/. I really love the copper one :).

They are a non-splendens species so I'm not sure if their care would be any different and not sure on their cost, but I think they would brighten up a corner of a room any day! ;).

Just a thought or two (cos that's about all I'm capable of)

Chilli Rasbos don't school particularly nicely, not like, say, CPDs or neons. They also like a good amount of plant cover, otherwise they'll just hide in a corner.

Bettas like slow moving water, so if you're filter throughput is high and not adjustable, the betta gets blown about in the currents. This also applies somewhat to the wild type bettas (simplex, imbellis, etc.), although they can swim a bit betta than a splendens.

Endlers, nice, don't get females cos (A) they're boring (B) they're bigger than the males and © you don't want hideous amounts of fry.

Other than that, they're all lovely fish, enjoy choosing!

I'd go with male endlers of those options, but that's just me.

Another option, that you may or may not want to consider would be a planted shrimp tank. Just a thought. I've considered it, but haven't decided to take the plunge on that yet myself.

Thanks! Not sure I fancy a shrimp tank. I have always found shrimp a bit dull :)

Just thought I'd throw it out there. Some folks don't consider inverts just because they never thought of them. Personally, I like the challenge of trying something new, but I don't think I have the time/resources right now. Maybe someday.

A betta gets my vote :good:

I have a tank the same size with a male Betta, a single cherry shrimp, a bristlenose pleco and a siamese flying fox. I'll probably have to upgrade or move out the pleco and fox when they grow bigger, but for now it's a nice little community and the shrimp, pleco and fox keep my plants in order while the Betta cruises amongst them looking handsome.

Chilli rasboras are awesome, I have a school in a ten gallon with Pygmy Cory's and cherry shrimp, it's really cool and fun.

Betta, plus endlers, or how about pygmy cories :)

I have my one-eyed betta in a 15l at the moment with six pygmy cories, and although some says it might be overstocked they are still teeny tiny (about a half inch each). The cories were in a 65l for 6 months or so but they never really moved, just hid in a corner so you couldn't see them!

They seem to like the smaller tank, are much more active and I see them more, it seems to work very well with regular water changes, maintenance and lots of plants.

The betta I would recommend because the endlers or rasboras will all look the same, whereas a betta will be an individual; he needs a name and will become much more of a real pet. They have little personalities and will swim up to great you when feeding, plus they look stunning if you get the right one.

Looks like a betta is winning! I do have a soft spot for cories. Would 6 pygmy cories be ok as well as a male beta?

Sorry Pygmy cories need at least 10 us gallons minimum. You could have the betta and some shrimp? Although some people have found that bettas eat the shrimp ;).

Looks like a betta is winning! I do have a soft spot for cories. Would 6 pygmy cories be ok as well as a male beta?
Sorry Pygmy cories need at least 10 us gallons minimum. You could have the betta and some shrimp? Although some people have found that bettas eat the shrimp
wink.png

It would certainly be pushing the boundaries a bit, but I wouldn't dismiss it as an option. Another factor would depend on how good your filtration is.

Not 100% sure on the filter, but it's ok. I would be doing weekly 40-50% PWCs

Sorry Pygmy cories need at least 10 us gallons minimum. You could have the betta and some shrimp? Although some people have found that bettas eat the shrimp
wink.png

It would certainly be pushing the boundaries a bit, but I wouldn't dismiss it as an option. Another factor would depend on how good your filtration is.

Yeh it's not too far off but 10gals is pegged as the minimum space. I guess it would also depend on the dimensions of the tank too.

Most reactions

Back