Bettas In Thier Own Little World?

woodjm79

Reaction score
i have raised african chiclids and now have a 75 gallon mulit fish tank...
but i have a few extra 20 gallon tanks and was wondering if i got like 1 male betta and about 3 or 4 female bettas ... with lots of rocks, and tons of plants would they live in a nice little world and make babies and live good? or am i asking for too much?

I'd say no. The male will most likely be aggressive towards the females and kill them either directly, or by stressing them out so much. It may be a big tank, but the females shouldn't have to be scared and hiding from the male constantly.

If you wanted, you could have a female betta community ONLY if the females are used to being with other females. If they've been kept individually in the pet store or whatever, though, they'll fight just like two males would.

If you wanted, you could have a female betta community ONLY if the females are used to being with other females. If they've been kept individually in the pet store or whatever, though, they'll fight just like two males would.

Actually, that is only true if they are housed with the SAME other females at the store. Whether or not they were still sharing a tank with other females, whenever you place two or more unfamiliar fish in the same tank, they will establish a pecking order. This means fights. Sometimes the squabbles aren't that bad. Other times they may kill each other if the weaker fish can't get away and hide. But once a pecking order has been established, females will generally live peaceably together. They may still have a spat now and again, but it shouldn't be anything serious.

Actually, that is only true if they are housed with the SAME other females at the store. Whether or not they were still sharing a tank with other females, whenever you place two or more unfamiliar fish in the same tank, they will establish a pecking order. This means fights. Sometimes the squabbles aren't that bad. Other times they may kill each other if the weaker fish can't get away and hide. But once a pecking order has been established, females will generally live peaceably together. They may still have a spat now and again, but it shouldn't be anything serious.

so what about also keeping a male in there together with several females? i was thinking that if there were 3 or more females then he would have his hands full nad not pick on one too much? wrong thinking? also would u add the females all together or one at a time ?

so what about also keeping a male in there together with several females? i was thinking that if there were 3 or more females then he would have his hands full nad not pick on one too much? wrong thinking? also would u add the females all together or one at a time ?
Never, ever do this. Males are more aggressive than females, so a male won't just form a nice pecking order with the ladies and then everything will be wonderful, he'll chase them until they are all stress and exhausted, at which point they become more succeptible to disease, and if he ever weakens one to the point she can't escape he will most likely kill her.

It's better to add the females all at once so none will consider the tank her territory right away.

If you want males and females in a breeding community type setup, you could go with a wild betta species such as Betta imbellis. They're not as colourful, but they are less aggressive.

Never, ever do this. Males are more aggressive than females, so a male won't just form a nice pecking order with the ladies and then everything will be wonderful, he'll chase them until they are all stress and exhausted, at which point they become more succeptible to disease, and if he ever weakens one to the point she can't escape he will most likely kill her.

It's better to add the females all at once so none will consider the tank her territory right away.

If you want males and females in a breeding community type setup, you could go with a wild betta species such as Betta imbellis. They're not as colourful, but they are less aggressive.

I totally agree!

Most reactions

Back