Bettas In Bare Tanks

Mr. Convict

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Is it okay to keep bettas in bare tanks? (ie. nothing but water)

Or it is better to have some sort of substrate and a plant or two for them to hide?

As for substrate, would gravel be okay provided he has enough height to swim such that his fins aren't always rubbing against it?

you can keep them in bare tanks if you so desire. really not the best idea tho. i only do this in treatment tanks.

they like the cover of plants and given that they are surface breathers, you will catch them resting on top of plant leaves at the surface of the tank... even fake plants are great (silk preferably). additionally, providing them with little hiding places and such gives them the opportunity to explore and be inquisitive :p

gravel is fine as a substrate. i'm not sure why you would want to keep a betta in a bare tank w/o substrate as well tho :unsure:

Easier cleaning..

No worries, i bought substrate just incase you said that :shifty:

Easier cleaning..

No worries, i bought substrate just incase you said that :shifty:
i figured. just wanted to make sure you weren't buying bettas and keeping them in bare goldfish bowls to save money. i had a feeling you knew what you were doing with fish :good:

Of course you CAN keep them in that - haven't you seen the tiny cups at pet shops? That doesn't mean they SHOULD be kept like that. They're just happier all round with an enriched environment. I know some people who keep them in small bare tanks so they can afford to keep lots and lots of bettas, but I know I'd get more enjoyment out of seeing one or two happy bettas with really nice, decorated tanks than heaps lined up in rows in bare containers. Just my opinion, but the betta will be happier and healthier for it as well.

I actualy use no substrait in my betta tanks, because any sort of substrait does not allow for 100% water changes, I am also breeding and raising bettas, so I have a need to keep the water sparkleing clean.

you can have a nice looking tank without sand or gravel, all you need is weighted silk plants, a few caves and some small terracotta pots. thats what every betta tank I have looks like, and my bettas are happy.

if I find some batterys for the camera I will get you a few pics.

We had a problem with one of our tanks in that every betta we put in it, ended up with sticky fins despite numerous water changes etc. We've now removed all substrate and like Newfishy, we have silk plants and stuff in there and now don't have a problem anymore. You cant brighten up substrate free tanks quite easily with decor :good:

I use bare bottom tanks as well, and put some live plants in to float about. My fish are just peachy.

Thanks for the replies, I'll go get some decor today, and when i get a cam take some pics ^_^

Just to clarify, i have both of my bettas in 3g (12"x8"x8") aquariums. I know maybe 5g may be better, they are both still somewhat juvie, and if it seems that they need more space later I will buy the bigger aquariums. I was just wondering if to leave the 3gs bare or add decor and what not.

Thanks again everyone :D

Most reactions

Back