Bettas And Guppies?

braxenburg

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if I could keep a couple guppies in with a betta in around a 10 gallon tank? If not, could i keep small fishies like Neon Teretas together?

guppys are a no, your betta will make a snack out of them, females probably will be safer it they dont have brite tails but u dont wnat to keep juts dull boring females do u? and neons and tetras of any kind at all cant be put with a betta. they way way faster than the betta and will tear up his fins into confetii.

i would suggest corys, plecos of any kind, plattys do ok, molly im not sure about, the males can get pretty aggresive at times, and snails are always good. u could also divide ff the tank and keep more than 1 betta if ur interested in something like that.

Thanks!

You wouldn't know how long i would have to cycle a tank if i wanted to put in just some guppies? Is there any prouduct that you can put in a tank to cycle it without fish? Lets say i want to cycle a new tank with some product, a week later can i put in guppies? Any info would be great!

The fastest way to get your tank cycled is to take some used filter media, and stuff it in your new filter. :D

If I used the filter media then how long would it take to cycle 10 gallons 1 week or...?

braxenburg,

DO NOT USE ANY CYCLING PRODUCT THAT YOU CAN BUY! THEY WIL NOT WORK!

Cycling a tank takes TIME. There are several ways to cycling a tank.
1. Using some strong fish (the traditional way) to grown the benefical bacteria.
Time to cycle: about 8 weeks

2. Using the fishless cycle method
Time to cycle: 4-8 weeks depending on tank size and ammonia concentration you obtain. (My 10g tank took 5 weeks)

You can read more about both these methods and several other things you might need to know in this post.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=10099

Nothing you do will get a tank cycled in 1 week.

i nor anyone else i know has had any luck with cycleing products. for my guppy tank i cycled it for a month with nothing but my gravel and carbon filter. i did 50% water changes twice a week during this time and its been up and running for 5 months now without any kind of serious cleaning. but today thats going to change, iv got to dismantel the whole thing and give it a good scrubbin. u dont have to cycle ur tank any more than a week but im a slow person so i let it go for a month. gl :thumbs:

Jediagh said:
DO NOT USE ANY CYCLING PRODUCT THAT YOU CAN BUY! THEY WIL NOT WORK!

Cycling a tank takes TIME. There are several ways to cycling a tank.
wrong,

i use a product called "cycle" (not sure on the brand name) and my tank is usually ready to go the next day, and yes i test the water before any fish go in an do test the day after an i have never had any readings for ammonia and nitrite

forgot to mention i have never lost a fish due to water impurities (ammonia etc.), only attacks and 1 jumper and my ID shark made a snack out of a school of neon tetras :/

I like cycle also :) What I do to cycle a new tank is tank an established tank, add new gravel, decorations etc, and then run a second filter on the established tank. After about two weeks you move gravel and the second filter onto your new tank. Bam-instant cycle. It's pretty much like cloning your first tank, and as long as you add your fish right away, you shouldn't experience and mini-cycles at all.

Every tank in my house is either a "clone" of my 150 or my 100 :D

Most reactions

Back