Bettas and guppies

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bettafishlover86

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I want to add a male guppy with the female guppies I will be getting for my 29-gallon tank. I have done some research and I have found that male betta fish and male guppies do not get along BECAUSE MALE GUPPIES HAVE BRIGHTLY COLORED FINS. They have some male guppies at PetSmart that are white. Can I get one of the white male guppies or should I just get females?

I personally don't recommend it. I used to have a betta in my community tank, and he killed one of my female guppies. They were both red, and I think this may have been part of the issue, as he showed no interest in my green female guppy. Even if the guppies have white fins, I still wouldn't suggest it as the betta could still mistake the guppies for competition and try to attack them. If you really want to, you could put a divider in the tank so that the guppies can have ~20 gallons, and the betta could have the other 9. Or you could get multiple tanks, but that is a slippery slope...

it is not bright colors i think it is the long flowy fins that guppies have
a roundtail or endler-guppy could be fine if the "landlord" is peaceful to the females
but then again the fry that the females have could have long flowy fins, since i am guessing they are fancies

Bettas are not really community fish and are best kept alone. Why not keep the betta in a smaller tank (around 5 gallons), then you can have male and female guppies
Because I'm only 13 and my parents won't let me have more than one tank.

Bettas have a very wide range of water hardness and can live with guppies.
No they can't. Guppies are hardwater fish, bettas are soft. Have you not learnt your lesson with the neons? Bettas are territorial and should be kept alone

No they can't. Guppies are hardwater fish, bettas are soft. Have you not learnt your lesson with the neons? Bettas are territorial and should be kept alone
so should I not get any other fish and keep just my betta?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-14 2.07.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-14 2.07.55 PM.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot 2021-12-14 2.07.34 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-14 2.07.34 PM.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 33
There really is no way around this except to say...male bettas are not community fish and should never be housed with other fish. The fact that betta "x" seems--and I stress the word seems--to manage does not mean it is working, nor does it mean things cannot suddenly change when the betta, who is likely under stress, decides he has had enough. You really cannot work contrary to nature, the genetics of each species is not going to change.

Most reactions

Back