Betta + Young Guppy = Future Problem?

andyboot

Reaction score
Hi,

A few weeks back I purchased a male betta and a baby guppy. The guppy was accidently put in the bag and the guy from Pets at Home didn't want to try and get it out of the bag as it may have killed it, so he just said to keep it.

I understand bettas and guppys aren't exactly the best friends in a tank, but as I've had this from being a colourless baby to now a yellow tailed young one I'm now at a stage where I'm watching the two like a hawk just in case they start fighting.

Just wondering if anybody has experienced the same situation in their tank and whether I should get this guppy out of the tank and back to the shop or stick with it and get it out of the tank at the first sign of trouble?

Here is a recent picture of the guppy:
img20120610211611.jpg

Thanks,

Andy

My Betta was a sod for nibbling my male guppys tails, I ended up seperating them as the 1 guppy in that tank with the betta has a huge split in his tail now.

Just my experience of keeping the 2 together.

Kirsty
---XXX---

Bettas & male guppies as a rule don't usually get along, but there are always exceptions to every rule
It does depend on the individual Betta, some are very laid back, but you're right to keep an eye on them just in case

Although I see what Cazgar's saying here, I tried this years ago, and the minute I turned round the betta had the guppy halfway in its mouth, you'd have to be watching 24/7

As others have said, it depends on the individuals. In my experience, Bettas aren't great with anything with a nice tail (including guppies) however, seeing as they've been in the same tank for a while and with the guppy from a young age they might be OK. See how it goes.

I agree, leave them for now but if the Betta starts getting nippy than move the Guppy. Due to the guppy being there from a baby he may be fine, and you may have a passive Betta on your hands if you're lucky ;)
My Betta is a big old softie, all he can do is flare, he cant bring himself to actually nip at fins, it's all intimidation with him, and if that doesnt work he gets flustered and angry but backs off. \
But be sure not to make a problem out of nothing

It could go both ways as everyone has said. What kind of betta do you have? Some varieties of bettas tend to be more on the aggressive side (crowtils and kings have always been my most aggressive) The fact that your guppy isn't as vibrant as most, he may escape the bettas notice. On the off chance that things go sour, you may want to look into a spare tank incase you need to remove one or the other :)

I have a female betta with 5 male guppies and there is no problem there and in my LFS they always keep male betas with guppies so I wouldn't see it as a problem but everyone has different experiences.

It could go both ways as everyone has said. What kind of betta do you have? Some varieties of bettas tend to be more on the aggressive side (crowtils and kings have always been my most aggressive) The fact that your guppy isn't as vibrant as most, he may escape the bettas notice. On the off chance that things go sour, you may want to look into a spare tank incase you need to remove one or the other :)

I'm not quite sure what Betta mine is, but hopefully you can work this out from my profile picture.

I think I'm just going to monitor the two for now and go from there. If I have to separate the two then so be it!

Thanks all for your suggestions and help :)

I'm not quite sure what Betta mine is, but hopefully you can work this out from my profile picture.

I think I'm just going to monitor the two for now and go from there. If I have to separate the two then so be it!

Thanks all for your suggestions and help :)
You have a very pretty male betta bsed on your profile pic. Stunning Colors :)

I have a male and female betta in the same tank with about 15 guppies. They all get along great :D

So it seems there are mixed answers, some are saying it's a big no no, but others are saying they've done/doing it and they're fine together. In which case I will just hold off before doing anything hasty.

If anything does happen, I will be sure to post back here another day.

P.s. TY Dieses Madchen :)

Most reactions

Back