Betta Worries

FishySarah

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
For the past few weeks Spike, my crowntail betta, has been lying on the bottom of his tank at night. He perks up during the day, but at night just lies there breathing heavy. I am worried. I know bettas can be lazy and sleep in some pretty weird positions, but that does not seem normal to me.

He is in a 2 1/2 gallon critter keeper with no filter or heater. I am thinking of upgrading his home, getting a 5 gallon for him with gravel, a heater and a small filter. (I have two lying around that are for small tanks) Do you think that would perk him up? I've also noticed he no longer builds bubble nests. Is it the shoddy accommodations?

maybe shes goes to sleep at night laying down at the bottom my fishes to that too when i switch off the lights at night

the fact that hes not building nests is a good sign that hes not doing so well esp if he used to do them before, lying on the bottom isnt such a bad thind really as he could be just settling for the night but you say that he seems out of sorts.

A bigger filtered and heated tank would do him so much better, would have the filter on the lowest possible outlet setting and the temp set at 24-26, some plants, maybe a small cave and add a floating half of polysyrene cup or a lid of a plastic cup this will help him build again without the filter outlet wrecking his hard work.

good luck and hope he picks up :good:

Sounds like your temp is going down at night and he doesn't like it
You can get a Hydor mini heater suitable for 2-5g tanks

Could it just be that he's getting old? I heard they live two years and I've had him about a year and eight months.

Most reactions

Back