Betta Wont Eat

jameshughes1989

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I am not new to fish keeping but havng some trouble and need some advice. After breeding my bettas, my male will now not eat. Has anyone else ever had problems with this.
He is in a heated, and filtered 10 gallon tank and water parameters are all fine.

Any ideas?
Thanks

hmmm..sounds a little odd, how is he acting, is he normal otherwise in his temprament? Does he look consitpated at all, how are his fins and scales?

What foods haave you tried to tempt him with and what is his usual staple? :)

hmmm..sounds a little odd, how is he acting, is he normal otherwise in his temprament? Does he look consitpated at all, how are his fins and scales?

What foods haave you tried to tempt him with and what is his usual staple? :)

He seems okay, slightly lethargic but other than that good. No Bloating, fins and scales all fine.
I have tried tetra betta, and freeze dried bloodworm.
Shall i try some frozen stuff?

probably sulking after being removed from the babies. keep offering food. he'll eat when hes hungry.

Often after taking the male away from the fry he will act depressed. He was working very hard for a few days with only one thing on his mind, and now those little things are gone!

Try showing him the female to get his mind off of the fry and onto other things :) Usually their breeding instinct is strong enough to make them forget about their fry rearing instinct.

Maybe next time look into the method of leaving the father in with the fry. You will end up with less fry in the long run because he will cull them, but you will also be able to keep them together longer. The father acts as a dominant force and the juvie males don't tend to start trouble around dad.

Often after taking the male away from the fry he will act depressed. He was working very hard for a few days with only one thing on his mind, and now those little things are gone!

Try showing him the female to get his mind off of the fry and onto other things :) Usually their breeding instinct is strong enough to make them forget about their fry rearing instinct.

Maybe next time look into the method of leaving the father in with the fry. You will end up with less fry in the long run because he will cull them, but you will also be able to keep them together longer. The father acts as a dominant force and the juvie males don't tend to start trouble around dad.

okay thanks will try that in the future. Sounds like a great idea. I removed him 2 days ago to answer the previous quezzie.
Thanks for all your help guys!
Ill try some of those ideas. :good:

Most reactions

Back