Betta Vs Betta Splendens

michaelg210

Reaction score
How do I know which kind of betta i have?

Can a betta (male) be a good tank mate with a bristlenose pleco? (Dwarf Pleco)

There is no difference. There are lots of species of Betta... Betta imbellis, betta rutilans and betta splendens just to name a few.

The normal brightly coloured shop bought species are betta splendens. Often all other types of betta aren't as bright as they come in 'natural' wild colours, and they aren't regularly stocked in many places.

A male may happily share his space with other fish, and a catfish that lives on the bottom and therefore not in the same territory as the betta stands a good chance, but some males just wont tolerate anything else living in the same tank.

There is no difference. There are lots of species of Betta... Betta imbellis, betta rutilans and betta splendens just to name a few.

The normal brightly coloured shop bought species are betta splendens. Often all other types of betta aren't as bright as they come in 'natural' wild colours, and they aren't regularly stocked in many places.

A male may happily share his space with other fish, and a catfish that lives on the bottom and therefore not in the same territory as the betta stands a good chance, but some males just wont tolerate anything else living in the same tank.
thank you for clarifying, as far as the pleco, LFS, and a few others, told me plecos have tough armour and the betta really can't hurt it, plus they are super fast, and have little barbs to protect themselves. He attacked a few platty fish previosly in the tank... so i was very leary.... however, x ur fingers, so far he has not even paid attention to it, though i have seen him on recon missions.... i know HE knows the pleco is there.

He even swam right past the pleco a few times, but either pretended not to notice or simply did not see it, though i find that (not seeing it) very doubtful.....

I guess if all is good after 24 hours i can assume he will be okay with it? Also, pleco has not yet ventured into the betta's nesting area, where he hangs and sleeps.... been near there, but has not yet gone after the algea on the heater, (betta nests between the 2 suction cups of the heater).

You definitely can't presume all is good after 24 hours. It's a good sign, but bettas temperaments can be fickle and they can just flip for no apparent reason sometimes.

The LFS is right though, bristlenoses are relatively armoured, however I wouldn't leave it in there if the betta DID decide to have a go.

imbellis are very colourful but not common in stores, and there is a difference between alot of the them, behaviour, breeding techs, living quarters to just name a few. There are some you can put the male and female together for life although I don't know what ones they are off the top of my head.

You can house betta imbellis together for life. I know someone who has her breeding pair in a 16gal paludarium. They just gave her fry!

I wouldn't be concerned about your betta harming the pleco, but more harrassing it and stressing it out.

Most reactions

Back