Betta tank size advice

BigBurgassio

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,

I am think of moving my Betta from a 60 litre to a smaller dedicated tank for him, ive seen various opinions on this with some saying they are better in a smaller tank or something under 3 gallon, the tank i am considering is a ciano aqua 20 classic which is 17 litres/4.5 gallon,

Most people now say 5 gallons in the minimum with 10 gallons being better. I always used a 25 litre/6.6 gallon tank when I kept bettas.

The small tank size you often see quoted comes from the misconception that wild bettas live in puddles. They don't, some of them survive in puddles during the dry season. They normally live in huge areas of shallow water.

I use the same size as Essjay, if I could start again I'd probably use a 10 gallon just to give me a bit more space to play with. Once you've added decor and plants etc a 3 gal or similar would be quite tight on space.

Betta Splendens are curious fish, they like to explore and this keeps them active and healthy.
A well planted 10g+ tank is what I would use.

Most people now say 5 gallons in the minimum with 10 gallons being better. I always used a 25 litre/6.6 gallon tank when I kept bettas.

The small tank size you often see quoted comes from the misconception that wild bettas live in puddles. They don't, some of them survive in puddles during the dry season. They normally live in huge areas of shallow water.
That's kind of what i thought, I am more inclined to go for the next size up which would be a 25litre, some of the tanks you see for Betta's look quite cruel with really small spaces for them to live. Did you keep any other small fish with the Betta or Betta only ?

I think keeping any fish apart from fry or similar size temporarily (which a betta is not) in less than 40 litres is just cruel and nasty. Feel sorry for Betta's. Get the biggest you can.

In small tanks, it's Betta only.

Hobby Bettas are deformed. Their needs don't relate to the wild fish they were bred out of. I've kept wild caught Betta splendens, and they were so different from the multicoloured, large, over-finned things sold in stores that I don't think the lessons of nature apply. The natural habitat of long finned Bettas is a jar.

For once, we have to ignore their habitat. If we choose to keep fish that are as genetically manipulated and twisted as hobby bettas, we have to adjust to them. You don't treat a pug or French bulldog the same way as you do a husky. You adjust to its health problems and handicaps to make it have as good a life as it can. Domestic bettas need extra attention.

You can't do that in a 2 gallon tank. The small water volume gives you no reaction time if things go west. You need to be able to work with the fish in a reasonably stable water body. If you are very well organized and attentive, a 5 is reasonable. For most of us, as busy people who sometimes have less time, a 10 is a better choice.

We choose the fish because it has long showy fins, but those fins create drag and make swimming difficult. They exhaust the fish, which was raised in a jar and lacks muscle tone when it arrives in our homes. Maybe we like deformed scales, which affect streamlining. The fancier the betta, the more of a biological wreck it is. The larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain and keep as a habitat where the fish can live for years. It's easier to keep the temperature stable, to get in to make water changes (long finned bettas, with so many folds in their fins, are vulnerable to parasites and fungus in dirty water). It's easier to have different zones - calm, moving water, that allow the fish to exercise.

I know this is a different approach than you usually hear. My accent is on having a tank it's easy for you to maintain. If you can do the work, the betta can do fine.

We choose the fish because it has long showy fins, but those fins create drag and make swimming difficult. They exhaust the fish, which was raised in a jar and lacks muscle tone when it arrives in our homes. Maybe we like deformed scales, which affect streamlining.
With the drag from swimming i take it id be better with a sponge filter rather than a filter pump with a constant flow ?, thinking ill go for 10 gallon now, Betta only.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I heard the argument that the natural habitat of long finned bettas is a jar many times before. What I say to that is, show me someone who breeds long finned bettas in a jar, then I’ll accept that argument. A lot of people who keep their bettas in a jar will do so no matter if they’re long finned or short finned bettas, wild caught or not wild caught.

I kept a long finned betta once. It was first in a 65 litre tank, then moved to a 130 litre. The fish didn’t drop dead one day due to swim exhaustion a big tank, in fact it explored the tank just like any betta. Just keep the water flow to a minimum as you would for any bettas, then it’ll do just fine like any short finned betta.

With the drag from swimming i take it id be better with a sponge filter rather than a filter pump with a constant flow ?, thinking ill go for 10 gallon now, Betta only.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Yes. You don't want a lot of flow in a betta tank. They aren't built for it. You can use a sponge filter. Or one of my favorite tricks is a HOB with a water bottle baffle to diffuse the outflow. I use this in a tank with a honey gourami (who also needs a similarly low flow environment) and it works great.

Yes. You don't want a lot of flow in a betta tank. They aren't built for it. You can use a sponge filter. Or one of my favorite tricks is a HOB with a water bottle baffle to diffuse the outflow. I use this in a tank with a honey gourami (who also needs a similarly low flow environment) and it works great.

That's a good idea, my filter in his current is a Ciano CF80 which produces quite a good flow though i have reduced it by adding an extra sponge to slow it up.

That's a good idea, my filter in his current is a Ciano CF80 which produces quite a good flow though i have reduced it by adding an extra sponge to slow it up.
The bottle trick works so well that my honey gourami sometimes hangs out directly under the bottle. I spent some time looking for ways to reduce HOB outflow and this one works the best. I was always a little nervous about ideas that blocked the inflow because I think that risks damaging the motor. Only drawback to this is that it's not pretty. But no one even notices.

Most reactions

Back