Betta Tank Mates For 2 Gallon

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I would keep a betta ONLY in a 2g. I would not keep a betta with tankmates in a 2g, much less with guppies. All I am saying is that if you aren't advising it, it maybe shouldnt be said as it could endanger the OPs fish.

Honestly, if you go to some pet shops they will tell you that is its fine to house them together. Im not trying to endanger other peoples fish. Im just letting them know that there are possibilities out there that may go against the common idea that you can not have bettas and guppies living together. Of course it'd be better if the tank was not so small, I'm not an idiot, but you could stop acting like I've just caused world war 3.

Lol I'm not acting like that. I just believe (like so many other members) that only the best possibly advice for the good and welfare of the fish should be given. Many of those same members will tell you that the LFS is after your money and will tell you anything to get you to buy said fish. I'm sure if you ask your lfs if and oscars is compatible with a betta, they would tell you they were if they thought you would walk out with both.

Lol I'm not acting like that. I just believe (like so many other members) that only the best possibly advice for the good and welfare of the fish should be given. Many of those same members will tell you that the LFS is after your money and will tell you anything to get you to buy said fish. I'm sure if you ask your lfs if and oscars is compatible with a betta, they would tell you they were if they thought you would walk out with both.
Well that wouldn't be very nice if them! I revised my original post to clarify that I wouldn't advise it. But I think I have a right to tell him that i have seen it done. After all, this website is supposed to be giving advice/sharing your experiences. Bettas (fish in general) all have different personalities, some more feisty then others, and so for some fish it may not be as big of a problem as others. If this man truly loves and values his fish, like he should :) , then he should do lots of research, not just asking us, if he wants to risk the life of his fish and others. No matter what you are told, in some cases you never truely know how a fish will react to others, all fish are unique!

I'ts cool that you have seen it, but 99% of the time there will be issues. Especially in a 2g tank. A betta, IMO should be in no less than 5 and even then i wouldn't add anything else to the tank but a snail. The only way I can possibly seeing guppies and bettas long term would be a large heavily planted tank, and by large i mean 20-30g

You could go with 3 African Dwarf Frogs.
They are found at most fish/pet shops.

Guys calm down I am not going to but my betta with guppies I might put him with a couple of cherry shrimp but I am still deciding.

Guys calm down I am not going to but my betta with guppies I might put him with a couple of cherry shrimp but I am still deciding.

Most reactions

Back