Betta Tank Mates For 2 Gallon

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tropicalfish311

Reaction score
Hey I am going to get a 2 gallon for my betta and I am just wondering if there is any suitable tank mates for him for a 2 gallon tank.

Agreed; a 2g tank doesn't give enough room for tankmates.

If you have enough money and space you should get a 10G for the betta, their personality comes out more in their more interactive in a bigger tank.
2g does not allow room for other inhabitants.

Yeah I'd say absolute minimum of 2.5 gallons but they're so much more interactive in 5 gallons and up. Does your "tank" have a filter and heater?

Right I have a male betta in a 1 gallon he has been in there for about 1 year but he got finrot but he survived so I am going to get him a 2 gallon tank with a heater and a filter and I only have space for a 2 gallon.

I'd only go for cherry shrimp in that tank size, though they can make easy targets for bettas due to their small size and bright colour.

If you only have room for a 2 gallon, is there a larger tank with the same for of footprint you could go for? I wouldn't keep a betta in anything under 5 gallons personally, though a 2 gallon could work if maintained well - at least you have a filter and heater which should help and afterall, 2 gallons is better than 1 :good:

I do have a 5 gallon setup but it has guppies in it so can not put the betta in there.

The tank is too small to add any other fish.
It depends on the temperament of your Betta whether he'll get along with the shrimp.
One of mine saw them as snacks, the other ignores them

I <<WOULD NOT TRY IT>> but that does not mean i have not seen tank mates before. My friend has a male beta in ta 2.5 gallon tank with 3 guppies and they all get along great. There is the occasional mild fin-nip but besides that they all live in harmony when well fed. It may not be the perfect habitat for the fish but I've seen it done.

I know everyone is urging against tank mates but my friend has a male beta in ta 2.5 gallon tank with 3 guppies and they all get along great. There is the occasional mild fin-nip but besides that they all live in harmony when well fed. It may not be the perfect habitat for the fish but I've seen it done.
Its really not recommended for bettas and guppies to be homed together as the bright colors and long fins of the guppies will attract attention from the betta. While things may be going well now, all it takes is for the betta to get a wild hair up his :blink: and its over for those guppies. 2 gallons is two small for anything more than a betta, and its even pushing it for a betta.

I know everyone is urging against tank mates but my friend has a male beta in ta 2.5 gallon tank with 3 guppies and they all get along great. There is the occasional mild fin-nip but besides that they all live in harmony when well fed. It may not be the perfect habitat for the fish but I've seen it done.
Its really not recommended for bettas and guppies to be homed together as the bright colors and long fins of the guppies will attract attention from the betta. While things may be going well now, all it takes is for the betta to get a wild hair up his :blink: and its over for those guppies. 2 gallons is two small for anything more than a betta, and its even pushing it for a betta.
I was not advising it, just saying if he absolutely wanted, I've seen it done.

Most reactions

Back