Betta tank kicking my butt....

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, as some of you may know after changing my tanks around my betta 18G has had a huge nitrite spike with a large increase in nitrates as well. I did yesterday a 65% water change and today a 85% water change but it still says nitrites and nitrates are remaining at the same level despite me suspending feedin. I feel my filter may be broken now as well all of a sudden. The flow of water seems very fast (again not ideal for my betta) so I’ve been consistently buffering it to stop the flow. The fact that there’s been no changes to the nitrites or nitrates and the excessive flow all of a sudden makes me think it must be the filter being broken. I’m planning on getting a new filter for the tank but again having a betta in the tank I’m gonna need to start the cycle all over again which is so upsetting. I’m going to get a HOB filter as sponge filters are too loud for me as the tank is in the room. Should I squeeze the sponges of my existing tank into the new sponges as well as purchasing a safestart kit. There should still be beneficial bacteria on the plants substrate and decorations of the tank. It’s just so frustrating feels like nothing is going right with this tank anymore :((

Try to get the new filters soon. When was the last time you cleaned out your filter? (Took it apart completely)

Try to get the new filters soon. When was the last time you cleaned out your filter? (Took it apart completely)
Probably 2 weeks ago and i idid it just now as well. I may get a filter for a 30L aquaroum for example due to lower flow and only having a betta in the tank

I am curious - if the tank is 18 gallons, why are you intending a filter for 30 gallons? This will create too much flow for a betta. It would be better to get a filter rated for the tank size, or perhaps slightly less.

Yes, squeeze as much old media as possible into the new filter. If you have live plants, they will help too.

I am curious - if the tank is 18 gallons, why are you intending a filter for 30 gallons? This will create too much flow for a betta. It would be better to get a filter rated for the tank size, or perhaps slightly less.

Yes, squeeze as much old media as possible into the new filter. If you have live plants, they will help too.
I meant for a 30 litre not a 30 gallon apologise for confusion to reduce flow! In the tank I’ve got frogwort elodea and amazon sword at the minute.

I meant for a 30 litre not a 30 gallon apologise for confusion to reduce flow! In the tank I’ve got frogwort elodea and amazon sword at the minute.
That makes more sense. As @essjay said, if you have live plants, this will make the process faster.

Most reactions

Back