Betta Questions

Shifty1303

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick questions regarding Bettas for you ever-helpful lot if you don't mind.

Firstly.. Bettas and rasboras? I hear they can work due to originating from the same areas but is this just more hopeful nonsense? The only betta I ever had bullied everything he saw. (they would be in a 40 litre)

Secondly.. How can I track down a licensed breeder of Bettas near me (Midlands)? I'd rather go to one than a pet shop as those in my lfs seem of questionable quality (poor neglected things).

Cheers!

I've mixed a crowntail Betta and Harlequin Rasboras before with success. My Betta will sometimes try to nip at the Rasboras but eventually both fish became aware that the Rasboras were too fast for the Betta and Rasboras learned to keep an eye on the Betta when he's nearby.

There are actually many fish that go well with betta. Like Hunterprey I've kept Harlequins with one as well.

Crazy as this sounds I ran into a problem and rather than have a tank die. I actually have peace and breeding going on. A Bettany with 6 Cherry Barbs and 2 fancy tail Guppies all get along together. Add 6 Mystery Snails and 2 red shrimp and a yellow shrimp and my 10 gallon Nano Tank is doing fantastic. If I wasn't seeing this with my own eyes I'd never believe it. Oh..the Cherry Barbs had babies and the mystery snails too. Getting my other tank ready but so much for Aquarium rules...lol..for now. .lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Some Bettas are fine with tank mates while others will hunt down and kill everything including snails. I had Hengeli Rasboras in a 2 foot tall with a female Betta and she was fine for a while then she just snapped, She killed 2 and was stalking a third.

Personally I think any fish that lives in the top half of the tank is a risky tank mate, thats the Bettas territory. 

NickAu said:
Some Bettas are fine with tank mates while others will hunt down and kill everything including snails. I had Hengeli Rasboras in a 2 foot tall with a female Betta and she was fine for a while then she just snapped, She killed 2 and was stalking a third.

Personally I think any fish that lives in the top half of the tank is a risky tank mate, thats the Bettas territory. 
My tank is a crazy mix of fish,shrimp and snails that just aren't supposed to be together but for some reason they do..lol.[emoji3]

Mine too, 1 Betta, 18 ( At last count ) Kuhli Loaches, 2 Mystery snails, and countless Red Cherry shrimp and Malaysian Trumpet snails and it works, Yet when I tried Hengeli Rasboras then Albino Corys my Betta did not agree.

You reminded me that I have 2 black snails (their name is right there but I can't think of it )they rarely are seen they like to burrow in the substrate and 1 tiger nerite snail with the mix. Plants are growing and I have to trim them a lot and tend to replant the trimmings when possible. Maribo Moss balls green and healthy. ANOTHER WEIRD THING Java grass will not live in the tank. It gets mucky turns brown and out it goes. But I have several different plants and hiding places..lol...especially if I had baby Cherry Barbs and I didn't see them until they were out and playing around. It took me 25 minutes of staring into the side of my tank to be sure that was what I saw. It sure was. I also can't honestly say that I check all parameters. I watch PH and temperature of water. I do water changes and have a really clear, clean tank. I need female red cherry shrimp because my 2 are definitely males. The yellow one is a boy too. They're very full of deep color and have attitudes. .lol...but I would love for them to breed. Watching the shrimp is my favorite they're such little goof balls. They take turns being king of the mountain on the top of the cuttlebone that is just below the waterline...it's to funny. Shrimp are really expensive. I had a blue one that I have only seen once and he looked more black and haven't seen him since (3 weeks ago). He could be in there but I sure can't see him...So Kudos to Crazy Tanks that work perfectly.

Most reactions

Back