Betta lost his tail?!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

broccoli&cheddar

Reaction score
just got a new betta and his tail Looked a little hurt yesterday and now it’s gone. He’s in a 1 gal tank with a filter maybe the intake hurt him? Checked the ph it’s about a 6 or higher I read they need a 7. I put water conditioner in when I changed his tank. not sure if it’s fin rot he isn’t really eating either just kinda hanging around the top not swimming much, I attached a pic of how he looks now

Attachments

• 85E2AE3A-D3C7-4D34-83C9-2A8EC7D89727.jpeg
    85E2AE3A-D3C7-4D34-83C9-2A8EC7D89727.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Betta can bite his own tail if hes stress, how big is your tank?

Do daily 75% water change and put in aquarium salt. (make sure to dissolved it before putting in)

Looks like fin rot but I've never kept bettas. If you can maybe a bigger tank as well. 1g is a little cramped and requires more maintenance. Plus your water looks cloudy or it might be a smudge of your camera. How often do you clean the tank?

Looks like fin rot but I've never kept bettas. If you can maybe a bigger tank as well. 1g is a little cramped and requires more maintenance. Plus your water looks cloudy or it might be a smudge of your camera. How often do you clean the tank?
Just. Cleaned the tank the glass on the outside is scratched up got the tank used I just cleaned the tank about 2 days ago and then that all started happening

just got a new betta and his tail Looked a little hurt yesterday and now it’s gone. He’s in a 1 gal tank with a filter maybe the intake hurt him? Checked the ph it’s about a 6 or higher I read they need a 7. I put water conditioner in when I changed his tank. not sure if it’s fin rot he isn’t really eating either just kinda hanging around the top not swimming much, I attached a pic of how he looks now
Here’s a better pic
27DFA841-A234-4F26-8D93-7BD8BD6199F5.jpeg

Check other posts on the forums you can find a lot of info on bettas and how people solved it. Just search betta, fin rot/fin injury and something might come up. I'm not very knowledgeable on bettas and I'd rather not risk telling you something that might be a solution to something I think is similar and be completely wrong on it. I hope you figure it out though and your betta gets better though!

Check other posts on the forums you can find a lot of info on bettas and how people solved it. Just search betta, fin rot/fin injury and something might come up. I'm not very knowledgeable on bettas and I'd rather not risk telling you something that might be a solution to something I think is similar and be completely wrong on it. I hope you figure it out though and your betta gets better though!
ok thanks so much!!

Best thing is daily water changes of 75%. After first change, add 1 tablespoon of dissolved aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of water. If salt isn’t dissolved first, it will sting the fish. Every day after that do a 75% water change and add 3/4 tablespoon of aquarium salt per every 5 gallons of aquarium water. Be sure salt is dissolved and water is dechlorinated. Keep this up for 2 weeks. I had one much worse off and his tail is growing back nicely. Something tore the tail. Cover the filter intake with panty hose. You need at least a 5 gallon tank too. Wishing the best! Keep us posted.

A 1 gallon tank is better than those little cups they keep them in but still is too small for your Betta to stay healthy. I kept mine in 5 and 10 gallon tanks and alone. @Deanasue is very knowledgeable about Betta so follow her instructions and good luck with your fish.

Does he look bloated to anyone else?

Most reactions

Back