Betta Is Not Eating

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

haleem8777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i brought a betta last weekend for my tank with tetras and corys but i still have not seen him eat when i put food in. I feed my fish tetra pro energy and Hikari micro wafers mixed together. some times i put in freeze dried blood worms for the corys. Does the betta feed at night?

Hi, your Betta should be eating.....has it been this way since you first got him? Maybe he is not used to the type of food you are feeding him...
How many other fish do you have with him...I know you said you  have corys and tetras....

haleem8777 said:
i brought a betta last weekend for my tank with tetras and corys but i still have not seen him eat when i put food in. I feed my fish tetra pro energy and Hikari micro wafers mixed together. some times i put in freeze dried blood worms for the corys. Does the betta feed at night?

Hmm im concerend on what your feeding, the bettas should be eating betta pellets as they have all the food the bettas need.

the pet shop that he was happy on the flake food they feed, and the tetra pro energy is flake type food

haleem8777 said:
the pet shop that he was happy on the flake food they feed, and the tetra pro energy is flake type food
Aye, but can you really trust the PS? bettas cant eat flakes as they can lead to problems IE bloating nd its hard to control the amount fed.

U could put a blood worm on the end of ur finger I find they stick pretty well lol and try wiggling it in front of him! Maybe the other fish get a look in before he even notices!

I mentioned above that i feed bloodworms. The bloodworm are in small pellets.can they work?

Edit: well I find the frozen ones to stick well but Dunno bout freeze dried! Perhaps moisten it first then if it does wiggling it infront of it's nose like I said may catch his attention!!
And yes bloodworms are good for bettas but they do need a mixed diet, they'd certainly do for now but at some stage get some betta pellets

Maybe try some "dried shrimp" A lot of times, it is mentioned as turtle food and they absolutely love the stuff

While all the above are nice suggestions, we also need to look at a few things:

1. What is the size of this tank? Over crowding can very much stress a betta so that he won't eat.
2. How many fish are in this tank? Some betta are overwhelmed after a certain number of tank mates.
3. What is the energy level of the other fish? Very fast and playful fish will definitely stress a betta.
4. Does the betta seem active outside of eating? If yes, then it could be that the crowd at the top of the tank stresses him (this happens with my females in the sorority tank).

Try soaking pellets in garlic. Seachem makes a product for this. Also, try frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, or beef heart, as well as mosquito larvae. Avoid freeze dried foods as these lead to bloat, much like flake foods do. You may also feed smashed green peas (thawed in the case of frozen peas, as well as peeled of their skins).

thanks for the options but he is know eating the food i guess he just needed to build his confidence up.

haleem8777 said:

my bettas eat betta food and some like tetra flake food too. I dont feed my betta any other kinds and once in a great while they get a snack on dried blood worms. 

Most reactions

Back