Betta In A Community Tank

That's a nice size tank for a betta and a few other fish, though 48 litres doesn't leave you much room for many other fish. Have a look at pygmy cories (you may have to check a few shops to find them). These fish swim in mid levels more than other kinds of cory and they only grow to about an inch so they are the right size for the tank. If you did decide on the cories, you would need small smooth gravel, or even better, sand on the bottom of the tank. You might also be able to get away with a few endlers, though as bettas can have quite variable personalities, you could end up with an aggressive one which would attack them. The only downside to endlers is that for both males and females you need at least two females for every male, so the most you could have in your tank would be 2m 4f. Females are plain beigey grey and have fry every month. This shouldn't be a problem as the betta would enjoy the snack so you shouldn't be inundated with baby endlers, but there's always the chance of a lazy betta who will leave them alone, resulting in a massively overpopulated tank. Half a dozen male endlers should be OK. I have a group in my 125 litre and they mainly ignore the other fish, swimming round as a group.
It is usually advisable to get the other fish first and get the betta last. If he goes in first, he could see the newer fish as invading his territory. If they are already there when you get him, he'll regard the other fish as part of the territory.

Decor for bettas should be smooth. Those long fins are quite delicate and easily torn, so rough rocks/caves/logs etc should be avoided. Take an old pair of tights to the shop and run them over the decor that takes your fancy (or if you're a man, take your wife/girlfriend/sister as you might get some funny looks :lol: ) If the tights snag on the ornament, don't get it. Plants should be real or silk, plastic plants can have sharp edges.
Bettas like to swim through things (make sure there are no holes just the right size to get stuck in, yes they can be that stupid) and a tallish plant with flat leaves is a good idea - bettas like to rest on them as lugging those fins around gets tiring, and if there is a leaf near the surface they can reach the surface to breathe without much effort.

Just in case you don't already know about it, are you aware you need to cycle the filter, preferably before getting any fish? You can read up here http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/113861-fishless-cycling/

Edited for spelling.

could i have any sunset platys in ther with my betta and what algae eaters could i have and are they good to have in your tank. and i have looked at some fish i like hers a list of them
(sword tails)
(clown loach)
(panda cory)
(silver tip tetra)

could i have any off them in with my betta and which ones could i have.

In a 48 litre tank, swordtails get too big; clown loaches get waaaaay too big; panda cories could be OK it depends on how big the bottom of the tank is. Because cories live on the bottom of the tank, the footprint of the tank is as important as the volume. Silver tip tetras might well nip a betta's fins. I've never had any myself so I don't know if they are one of the nippier species of tetra.

Platies - touch and go. They shouldn't harm the betta but will he see the bright colours in a fish the same size as him as a rival? That's the other problem, platies get quite big meaning it would reduce the number of fish you could have. Maybe a 1 male/2 female trio. The advantage with platies is that females are just as colourful as males. All livebearer males exist only to eat and breed. They chase females constantly. This is why you need more females than males, to give each female some time off while the males chase another one. This applies to all the common livebearers.

You don't need an algae eater. If you have algae, you need to find out why, and do something about it. Having said that, the best algae eater for a 48 litre tank is a snail or amano shrimps. I wouldn't get an alage eating fish as most of them will get too big.
I have nerite snails in all my tanks :D

ok thank you for all you advice essjay im going to buy the fish tomorrow

WAIT.......

You said earlier that you just got your tank. If that's true, you can't get fish yet. You need to cycle the filter first and that will take a couple of months.
If you really can't wait that long, you'll be doing a fish-in cycle, and that is a lot of hard work to keep the fish alive during the cycling process. Here are the two ways of cycling:
fishless - http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/113861-fishless-cycling/
with fish - http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/224306-fish-in-cycling/
Read through them both and see what's involved. If you get fish without cycling the filter first (fish-in cycling) you'll find yourself doing water changes at least once a day for a few weeks.

If the shop/tank intructions say to add something from a bottle that instantly cycles your filter, don't believe it. A lot of them don't work at all and some do only half the job. You do get the odd one that works for some people. It is much safer to assume the one you have won't work.

Most reactions

Back