Betta Help!

scotbowls

Reaction score
I got my 1st male betta last week but I've started to notice that his tail is shredding and much shorter. I've not seen him have any problems with other fish during daytime so it looks like he is being nipped at night in darkness.

In the tank I have 3 mollies, 3 platys and 2 rams. Who is likely to be the culprit?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

An upset newbie. :(

I got my 1st male betta last week but I've started to notice that his tail is shredding and much shorter. I've not seen him have any problems with other fish during daytime so it looks like he is being nipped at night in darkness.

In the tank I have 3 mollies, 3 platys and 2 rams. Who is likely to be the culprit?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

An upset newbie. :(

The rams! although platy's and mollies have been known to nip in the past He really could do with his own tank, could you buy a tank divider and seperate a section off for him, what size is your tank capacity wise?

It's about a 50 litre tank. Sorry to hear it could be the rams especially as the person who served me at the shop said he would be fine as long as I had a couple of rams. Looks like dodgy info. :(

It's about a 50 litre tank. Sorry to hear it could be the rams especially as the person who served me at the shop said he would be fine as long as I had a couple of rams. Looks like dodgy info. :(

Sadly people in general fish stores often dont understand the needs of bettas and so give out information that they think is right but sadly more often that not isnt! 10 gallons isnt really that big, could you perhaps get him a 2 or so gallon tank of his own? I think perhaps if you seperate him off a 2 gal section the other fish may not have enough space - As I havent had a community tank in years Im not too hot on stocking issue's I seem to remember Bronze knows whats about right.

It would be ideal if you could get him his own space though

He needs to be seperated unfortunatley. Sometimes hey can live in communitys, it just hasnt worked out for yours. Section a bit off or buy a small heated tank (you can pick one up for about £20)

Most reactions

Back