Betta Girls With Bloated Tummies.

amio

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
A couple of hours ago I went to the mall to look for some female bettas. To my dismay, I only found a total of around ten. Ten male bettas. Heh. So on my way home, I see this pet shop near where I live that I've never dared visit cos the place looks unhealthy. Hehe. After a bit of hesitation I finally got myself to cross the street and check the place out. And there, I see bettas. Most were crowntails and they all looked pretty. But unhealthy. So I see this group of female crowntails. All were royal blue and one actually looks like an mg - the only one left without torn fins. They were in a 5x5x5 glass box. All four females. Then the store owner says: "Buntis lahat yan. Tamo o, anlalaki ng tiyan." which, in english, means: "They're all pregnant. Look, big bellies". I've successfully spawned bettas twice and never have I seen betta bellies that round. So down to the question, finally. Hehe. Sorry for the long story. What's the matter with the female bettas? Are they egg-laden or do they just have bloated tummies because they're young (or possibly overfed)? They're all active and don't look sick or anything. Aha, one more important detail. They're placed next to a male ct. Does this mean anything? Thanks for reading! :D

John

Without piccies I would say that they were egg laiden, especially if they were within viewing distance of a male.

If they aren't pine coning and eating OK then they are probably full of eggs.

Without piccies I would say that they were egg laiden, especially if they were within viewing distance of a male.

If they aren't pine coning and eating OK then they are probably full of eggs.

Mine is exactly the same, is there anything i should do? Whats going to happen next? She is in a 190lt community tank with another male

Mine is exactly the same, is there anything i should do? Whats going to happen next? She is in a 190lt community tank with another male

Yes, there is something you should do... FREAKIN REMOVE THE MALE! :X Seriously, please read the stickies. They could very well end up killing each other or spawning all over the place THEN killing each other.

Also... my baby girls are very eggy, I think it depends on the girls.

Yeah, saw your girls and figured the bettas I saw were also just very young and eggy. So I decided to buy them. But when I went back to the shop, the fish I wanted were gone. Heh.

John

Hehe. It's okay, I can always wait for new stock. Maybe I'll get lucky and get better fish. I'm planning on setting up a sorority tank. Maybe around eight girls in a twenty-gallon. :hey:

Most reactions

Back