Betta Flaring At Me...

AquaticRex

Reaction score
so, my betta is on my desk next to my computer, i did a scheduled cleaning and all of that fun stuff and then went to use the computer when i was done, looked at my betta, and for some reason he was flaring at me... i just got him a few weeks ago and am new to the betta thing. what would he be flaring at? and no i dont have any other bettas...

Definately not an expert here :p but my family has owned a few bettas. One in particular used to flare at anything with color (usually reds or blues), I think some are more territorial than others. Were you wearing bright colors or is anything like that next to his bowl? That might be the reason.

no lol i was wearing a dark green knee length dress, i remember cause i just got in from a girls day out.

They just kinda do that sometimes. He might have caught his reflection or saw some color or movement in the room that put him on guard.

My betta flares at anything that is a bright blue. I realized this when I unthinkingly left a bottle of Bettafix, which is a strong cobalt color, right next to the tank. A few minutes later I noticed betta was flaring like mad. Then I realized he was flaring at the bottle, lol. Moved it, of course.

I experimented with other colors, but only the strong blues (and sometimes light blues) got that reaction from him.

Sounds like he's flaring at you! One of my bettas flares at me all the time. I approach the tank and he swims to the front and flares. I put the light on and he charges at me flaring. And when my boyfriend is near the tank he flares at him and swims in circles :lol:

We try not to take it too personally.

lol i was just wondering if there was something nutty in his mind going on lol, i found it rather funny, i'm just worried about him getting that stretch thing, cause flaring can't be all too good for them can it?

lol i was just wondering if there was something nutty in his mind going on lol, i found it rather funny, i'm just worried about him getting that stretch thing, cause flaring can't be all too good for them can it?

Having read a lot of message board and blog posts about flaring, the consensus seems to be that allowing them to flare for something like 10 min a day is fine, and even good. Gives them exercise, shakes off their boredom, allows them to feel tough. But more than that can stress them out. HTH.

ooo lol kk, i wasn't sure if it was ok. i've had fish for my whole life, but this is a first with Betta's, so every bit of info is great :D

My betta, Kenji flares like mad when he sees me..... And if you put your hand in the tank, he go's

CHOMP!!

ZO :good:

Is it only the males that flare or do the females do it too? I've never seen my female do that and she's with a bunch of other fish.

Females flare but I have found that, where as the male is all 'mouth', females are all 'bite'..........

As BethK says, some females do try to flare but they don't have the same growth around the gills and consequently don't look very impressive. They literally stick there gills out as opposed to the whole 'beard' show.

Yup, females look like they are sticking their gills out but they have a tendency to sneak up and pounce lol

Most reactions

Back