Betta fit rot??

SABWARNER16

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I’ll start by saying I’m new to keeping fish but I’m researching and learning more and more everyday.
My half moon opal betta has been in his tank for a month now. After fixing ammoni spikes by testing every day and changing water every time I saw ammonia/nitrite present (which seemed every day because I thought letting the tank run for a week would “cycle” it, yes I was wrong and a newbie), using Stability and Prime by Seacheam, we’ve finally been able to get to four days so far without ammonia/nitrites and some nitrates (less than 20, I have plants). However when I first bought him I had plastic plants and I don’t know if those are what caused his jagged fins or if it’s fin rot. He has a couple streaks of pink which you can’t see well in the picture. He does not seem to be in distress at all, he swims around his tank all day, comes to the glass when he sees me, etc. but I do remember him being a lot more white when I got him. So I have Kanaplex on the way in case it is fin rot. Can someone tell me if he does? He’s in a 3.5 gallon tank with a filter and some Amazonian swords.

Attachments

• 72B3401F-2657-4384-808F-FCB0D9CC7A26.png
    72B3401F-2657-4384-808F-FCB0D9CC7A26.png
    360.1 KB · Views: 52
From my little bit of experience with buying pale colored Betta fish is that the pale pure white is usually caused by stress. Once they are in a healthy environment (like your tank) they will take on hints of color. One of my Betta started out white/gray and light blue and ended up being black and dark blue.

The fins on your fish don't look like they are ragged or falling apart. It could just be slightly uneven growth from stress while at the pet store. Or he could have had fin rot in the past and since recovered before you purchased him. My butterfly male has a similar growth pattern. I don't think their fins will be perfectly even and round ever. Even plakat betta will have some unevenness.

I would not be worried about the additional color, as most betta will have slight color changes (or sometimes dramatic ones) throughout their lives. Unless he starts looking inflamed or ill, he will probably end up with a pink or opal-like tinge to him

From my little bit of experience with buying pale colored Betta fish is that the pale pure white is usually caused by stress. Once they are in a healthy environment (like your tank) they will take on hints of color. One of my Betta started out white/gray and light blue and ended up being black and dark blue.

The fins on your fish don't look like they are ragged or falling apart. It could just be slightly uneven growth from stress while at the pet store. Or he could have had fin rot in the past and since recovered before you purchased him. My butterfly male has a similar growth pattern. I don't think their fins will be perfectly even and round ever. Even plakat betta will have some unevenness.

I would not be worried about the additional color, as most betta will have slight color changes (or sometimes dramatic ones) throughout their lives. Unless he starts looking inflamed or ill, he will probably end up with a pink or opal-like tinge to him
I really appreciate your reply, and thank you so much for the advice and info. You rock! Thanks!!

It doesn't look like he has fin rot. For the future though, if he ever does get fin rot, the best treatment is aquarium salt. It's cheep, and you can get it at petco or petsmart. It takes the fin rot away pretty quickly if you start treatment early enough.

It doesn't look like he has fin rot. For the future though, if he ever does get fin rot, the best treatment is aquarium salt. It's cheep, and you can get it at petco or petsmart. It takes the fin rot away pretty quickly if you start treatment early enough.
Thank you!!

Most reactions

Back