Betta Fish Food Questions

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

P&BtheBetta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was wondering if my schedule for feeding is okay and if I should adjust anything. I'm not sure how often to feed each of these foods and I'd love some advice about that.
1) I have bloodworms, Fluval bug bites, and Hikari betta bio gold for my bettas.
2) I feed 2 blood worms every 2 days.
3) I feed 5 bio gold pellets and 2 bits of Fluval bug bites daily (even when I feed bloodworms).
4) I don't feed my fish on one day of the week (I didn't feed them yesterday and last week I didn't feed them on Wednesday)

Here's what I'm thinking:
Raise the amount of food to 6-7 bio gold pellets when I don't feed bloodworms and give both my fish 5 Hikari pellets when I do feed bloodworms.
Could anyone help with how frequently I should feed everything? Thank you so much! :)

Are the bloodworms frozen or freeze dried? Freeze dried should be rehydrated before putting them in the tank as bettas will eat them before they've had chance to absorb water so they'll do this inside the fish and swell up.

Bloodworms have little nutritional value and should only be fed once a week at most.

Are the bloodworms frozen or freeze dried? Freeze dried should be rehydrated before putting them in the tank as bettas will eat them before they've had chance to absorb water so they'll do this inside the fish and swell up.

Bloodworms have little nutritional value and should only be fed once a week at most.

The bloodworms are frozen.
Thanks for the feeding advice!

Another Betta feeding question....

I’m feeding my boy Blue with Nano Tropical, by NTLABS, 0.8mm pellets.

I’m putting what I think is a small amount in the tank every morning and he goes around and hoovers it all up. I was giving him frozen bloodworms (about 5 or 6 for supper) and again he hoovers them up in no time - I can hardly get them into the tank and he’s trying to snatch them. I was told at the weekend that he shouldn’t be having those very often and have bought live shrimp - again he goes mad for those!!

Ive noticed this evening that he’s got a fat tummy! And am now concerned he’s being over fed ?☹️?.

@P&BtheBetta what size are the pellets you are feeding..?

I think I’m going very wrong...he’s going to hate me as I’ve read I should stop feeding for 2-3 days... I’m going to give him some cooked pea tomorrow (boiled, no salt, peeled and cut into tiny pieces?)

Daphnia is another good food to feed. Until lockdown started I always had cubes of bloodworm, daphnia and brine shrimp in the freezer. These cubes are way to big to feed to a betta (I have another tank so when I had a betta there was more than just one fish to feed). But a sharp knife does slice tiny bits off easily.

How many pelletes should be fed at one meal depends on the size of the pellet.

@Essjay, they’re tiny, about 0.8mm...(on kitchen towel) 86A3BF9D-EB0C-4173-BC90-D8DF3C2CF214.jpeg
How many brine shrimps is a “dinner“..?

If the brine shrimps are live, maybe 4 or perhaps 5 small ones. That's the advantage of frozen, you can slice a sliver off the cube then out the rest back in the freezer.

Those pellets look tiny. 6 or maybe 8 of that size should be OK for one meal.

@Essjay...he’s been having an Easter and Christmas Day binge every morning for breakfast!!
He’s not going to like the new diet....?

So, not today or tomorrow, but moving forward 6-8 pellets for breakfast and 4-5 shrimp for supper..?

I couldn’t get daphnia at the weekend but I have heard these are the better option as they promote a healthier digestion - does that sound right?

I was going to alternate the shrimp and daphnia..do the numbers just transfer across? ie 4-5?

My betta wouldn't entertain daphnia, he'd spit it out and look at me all Kevin & Perry like 'I HATE you!'

I've had several bettas (one at a time) over the years. Some would eat daphnia, others wouldn't; some would eat brine shrimp, other's wouldn't. Some would only eat soggy pellets, some refused to eat soggy pellets. They are all different.

Daphnia are a lot smaller than brine shrimp so you need more per meal. With frozen food, the same sized sliver cut from the block will have more daphnia in it that brine shrimp.

If you get frozen daphnia and he won't eat it, your future endlers will love it and frozen will keep till you get the endlers.

I love bettas for their individual personalities, they're so funny

ALL of my bettas hate bloodworms I Will drop one in (freezdried) and one of my boys will flare at them and that same one only likes omega one pellets. all of my fish refuse flakes aswell. (besides fry) I have a fish who goes crazy for peas and a few who don't like live food. bettas are extraordinary creatures; sometimes I want to rip my hair out.

PS they don't like live bloodworms either

He’s looking less bloated this evening, but I’m holding my nerve and he’s not had anything to eat...He is almost turning somersaults in the front “feeding corner” in a hope I’ll notice him ??

Most reactions

Back