Betta dying???

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AfternoonNarwhale

Reaction score
My betta is very sick. He hasnt eaten in a week or too, he's been very lethargic. Now he's laying sideways on the bottom, sometimes coming up for air, but he's swiming is weird and vertical and he just sinks back down. Is he dying?? He's only about 2 y o. What do i do???

I think the typical life span for a betta is about 3 years, give or take. It might just be his time?

Can you post some info about the tank - size and water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH)? Do you have a filter and a heater? Are you doing weekly water changes? Anything else in the tank with him?

I think the typical life span for a betta is about 3 years, give or take. It might just be his time?

Can you post some info about the tank - size and water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH)? Do you have a filter and a heater? Are you doing weekly water changes? Anything else in the tank with him?
Its a 5.5 gallon tank, fliter and heater. Last water change was about 2 weeks ago i think? Nothing else in the tank, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ph 6.5. I did get him at petco so he might not have been the healthiest...

Its a 5.5 gallon tank, fliter and heater. Last water change was about 2 weeks ago i think? Nothing else in the tank, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ph 6.5. I did get him at petco so he might not have been the healthiest...
Does he have plants to lay on? Real or silk ones? One YouTuber I watch had an older (3 years?) betta and most of the time the fish looked dead - he just laid at the bottom of the tank motionless. Their big fins and tail make them tired so they do rest, especially as they get older. If you've had him for 2 years he might have been several months old when you bought him so it might just be his time.

Can you post video of the fish here? Some folks more experienced than me can take a look at it and help troubleshoot. If he's swimming vertical it might be a swim bladder issue or something else. Post a video if you can and I'm sure others will chime in.

Most reactions

Back