Betta Doesn't Seem To Wanna Eat?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

oompaloompa

Reaction score
Hey :) I bought a Betta yesterday and he hasn't eaten since bringing him home. I've been giving him (or at least trying) tropical flakes, should I try and give him other food? Could this mean something bad? In the day i've had him, i've fallen in love with him and am starting to worry!

Also, he needs a name! I've put some pics below if anyone has any ideas!

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

It often takes a day or so for them to settle down, he'll eat when he's ready.
In the meantime, remove any uneaten food t stop it fouling the water

Its not uncommon for a betta too not eat for the first day or two. I would just turn off the light in his tank and let him relax for a day, and then try a few flakes tomorrow night. :)

That's okay then! Yeah i've left the light off and taken the food out so hopefully he'll settle in soon, thanks for the help :)

Yeah, it's normal for them to not want to eat while they're settling in. If he still doesn't want to eat after an extended period of time (like, say, a week) you could try tempting him by soaking his food in garlic juice or offering something REALLY yummy that no betta can resist, like live mosquito larvae. :p The larvae worked for me to get my stubborn female eating after a week of being disinterested.

He's a lovely betta- Ribbon seems like a good name to me. ^_^

Well the good news is he decided to eat. Bad news is, it was platy fry! She gave birth earlier than expected so he chomped them down. Nature huh?!

Most reactions

Back