Betta compatibility in a 15 gallon tank

I_Smell_Fish

Reaction score
What fish would you recommend I put in a 15 gallon tank with my betta? My betta is outgoing and fearless. I've read where fish like rasboras and danios are compatible, but that seems kinda boring. I'd like some mid-tank dwellers and bottom dwellers. I wanted Pygmy Cories, but my substrate isn't sand, like they need. My substrate is Eco-complete, which is very tiny sharp edged pieces, almost like shale. I don't think standard sized cories would work because they'd be too big for this little tank..and I'm assuming they need sand, too. My pH is around 7.5, the temp is 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit, and the water is very hard. Ideas?

Thank you in advance!
Darrien

No other species, sorry. Betta are not community fish, and a male is always going to be healthier and happier on his own. Snails and shrimp are fine, it is fish that cause the problems; the Betta may take a strong dislike to them, or they will consider his fins a nice target to nip. Even otherwise peaceful small fish can become quite nasty when confined with such a temptation.

Individual Betta can behave differently, but the inherent traits of this species does not make it acceptable in community aquaria.

Byron.

I've had several Betta in community tanks and it worked very well. Also, many reputable sites describe the male Betta as a fine community fish, with the right tank mates (no tiny tank mates, and no fin nippers, for example). Are you speaking from a bad personal experience? I can't remember what tank mates I had with my bettas, but in any case, I'm hoping for some fresh ideas.

I've had several Betta in community tanks and it worked very well. Also, many reputable sites describe the male Betta as a fine community fish, with the right tank mates (no tiny tank mates, and no fin nippers, for example). Are you speaking from a bad personal experience? I can't remember what tank mates I had with my bettas, but in any case, I'm hoping for some fresh ideas.

I am speaking from the perspective of my research which is considerable. I'd like to know those "reputable sites" because they do not seem very reliable. One site that is recognized as reliable by professional biologists and ichthyologists is Seriously Fish, and here is their profile wherein they clearly advise not for a community aquarium.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/betta-splendens/

I always smile at comments that someone has tried this and it worked very well. How do you know what the fish was thinking or experiencing? There may not have been physical aggression, but fish communicate via chemical signals termed pheromones (read by others in the species) and allomones (read by other species), and these can cause serious stress to fish if they are "aggressive" in tone.

I've had several Betta in community tanks and it worked very well. Also, many reputable sites describe the male Betta as a fine community fish, with the right tank mates (no tiny tank mates, and no fin nippers, for example).
I know this sounds "sassy"
but if it worked well once why are you questioning doing it again? just do it if it worked so good.

As your substrate is too rough for bottom dwellers you are out of options.

Like Byron said Bettas especially males are solitary fish and best kept that way.

Even snails like Malaysian Trumpet snails are not safe, before the floods we had here wiped out my sorority my females actively hunted and ate MTS, They also loved live Guppy fry for breakfast.

Watch this.

In response to some of the statements, I'll just say that I am not a newbie in the hobby. I've got about 12 years experience. I was just looking for some fresh ideas for community fish. And that's all. I mean this in the nicest possible way.

I keep my Betta with galaxy rasbora and they work perfectly together, the Betta chase them off even though they are smaller fish, and because the rasbora is a shy fish so tends to keep itself to itself

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

I keep my Betta with galaxy rasbora and they work perfectly together, the Betta chase them off even though they are smaller fish, and because the rasbora is a shy fish so tends to keep itself to itself

I know they like harder water, but they survive well with the bettas softer requirements.
Sorry you've had to deal with people not giving advice based on personal experience

I keep my Betta with galaxy rasbora and they work perfectly together, the Betta chase them off even though they are smaller fish
No they are not working perfectly together as you say the Betta chases the little rasboras off that means he is not happy with tank mates he is stressed and so are the rasboras, and stress equals weakened immune system. That is a clear act of aggression.

Sorry you've had to deal with people not giving advice based on personal experience

I have both male and female bettas and have kept both with and without tank mates and am telling you now males do best on their own.

If you had softer water and sand substrate you could have tried Kuhli Loaches.

If you insist on tank mates, I suggest you switch your substrate to sand and then try out the pygmy corries. It all depends on the betta, I've had a male betta actively go after corydoras so he was moved to his own tank. It is not a good idea to expect an active species to work out in a betta tank. Both species are likely to suffer.

The only way to go for betta tank mates, especially males, is bottom dwellers. Seeing as bettas are top-mid dwelling fish (for the most part) they will not usually bother bottom dwellers. With all my bettas I keep either BN plecos (too large for your tank), a variety of snails, cherry and amano shrimp and/or kuhli loaches. Again, depending on the betta, the shrimp and snails may get eaten. So far only 2 of my several bettas don't eat the snails or shrimp. I have empty shells littering the sand in my sorority, it is actually a bit annoying.

Whatever you plan to add to the tank, I suggest having it heavily planted. If the betta cannot see the other creatures then it "shouldn't" cause problems.

Most reactions

Back