Betta Bulbs

qkslvrb4

Reaction score
posted this in the plants section, but figured some1 here might know better.

I just got a new CT (my 2nd betta) and as i was walking through the fishies section i saw these "betta bulbs" - live plants for your betta bowl...so i tried (not very hard though) to look up these things on the net but i couldn't find any info...
Does anyone know what kind of plant specifically these things are? they're little brown bulbs (0.5"-1") about the size of a thumb. And if you know, can you tell me how big they can get? how long does it take to grow them? I think my bettas would really enjoy a nice live plant, but i don't want to end up regretting it in the end!

thanks in advance!!

Most probably some form of houseplant as my LFS had Betta Plants exactly liek yours and they rotted away )

Bret

posted this in the plants section, but figured some1 here might know better.

I just got a new CT (my 2nd betta) and as i was walking through the fishies section i saw these "betta bulbs" - live plants for your betta bowl...so i tried (not very hard though) to look up these things on the net but i couldn't find any info...
Does anyone know what kind of plant specifically these things are? they're little brown bulbs (0.5"-1") about the size of a thumb. And if you know, can you tell me how big they can get? how long does it take to grow them? I think my bettas would really enjoy a nice live plant, but i don't want to end up regretting it in the end!

thanks in advance!!

I know they've been asked about on here before, a quick search ought to find a few hits. I know they work, but my memory seems to recall that those who had them, had them in tanks above 2.5g.

I have one of the betta bulbs in my bowl ( hasn't sprouted ) but the bulbs I put in my 29 gal have. They look like a tall grass atm, not sure what the end result will be.

Here are pictures of mine.

bettabulb1.jpg

bettabulb2.jpg

I have the exact kind. Oddly the package doesn't show what kind of plant is grown. Mine looks like yours. Later the leaves will become all wavy-like. I asked someone in the plants section, and I think they positively identified is as. . . something. You can always go back and try to find my post.

Java moss is really good to put in with them. Some people swear by it to help stabilize the chemistry in their tanks etc etc and the fish like to hide out by it. It's very easy to keep. Other than that they love floating stuff like duckweed or riccia which takes more light. Mine have both and love to bubble it up. I'm going to try mine with some anachris (?) and see if they live it or not. Java fern is another popular one with betta folks and I'll be trying that too pretty soon.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, just wanted to show an update of the betta bulb so people can see how big they get. Three of the blades are approaching 12" maybe longer, I've not measured them.

bettabulb4-6-06.jpg

And its still growing!! :hyper:

I love these things cause I don't have to do anything but throw them in the tank. The ones I use aren't called Betta Bulbs but "Grow Your Own Live Aquarium Plants." The back says the package contains a beautiful assortment of Aponogeton: -Crispus, -Undulatus, -Ulvaceus, -Echinatus, -Nymphaea Rubra, -Nymphaea Stellata, -Rigidifolius, -Boivinianus, -Natans. You don't get all of these, most packets only have 3-5 bulbs so you might get one or more of those listed. If you do a search for Aponogeton you can probably get pictures and figure out which you have.

Most reactions

Back