Betta Breeding Clean Up Crew

I kinda like the sound of the ramshorn snail idea. Next time I think I'll try adding a few to the fry tank... if only because my 10 gallon is practically overrun with them and Malaysian snails :lol:
Sometimes I even find snail egg clusters attached to the interior wall of my filter :blink:

wuvmybetta said:
...The cory idea really just....scares me (?) I don't see why the cories wouldn't eat the newborn betta fry,that makes no sense to me. -_-
I have to agree with this. :nod: Corys would eat the fry if they were big enough to do it and the little ones were on the bottom. :nod: Corys are peaceful and not at all aggressive, but they are simply not able to distinguish between fry and other live food. Additionally, I would be concerned about the possibility of the larger corys unintentionally battering or crushing the fry if they are on the bottom of the tank. I do not keep adult corys with their fry for that very reason.

i own corys myself and they are peaceful to my small guppy fry, the dont take chace or eat them but im sure if one was on the bottom of the tank resting the he wouls snag him up real quick -_-

GuppyDude,I don't think you're grasping how absolutely minuscule betta fry are -_- Peaceful or not,the cories would not be able to resist them,they're about 1/10 of the size of a brine shrimp...if not even smaller.

I use dwarf corys to start with. Then I try to find juvie dwarf corys for the spawn tank. I use the adults in the growout. If the young corys grow up with the Betta fry, they don't consider it food. My last 2 spawns that went from growout tank to jarring, was 87 oranges, and 84 red cambodians. If any fry are eaten, I never saw it. If they got eaten, they had to be weak enough to just lay there and not move. Corys have downturned mouths for bottom feeding. They don't chase live foods thru the water. Dwarf corys are very peaceful and are the smallest corys. I can feed microworms and BBS heavily, and not worry about the extra food polluting the water. The corys clean it all up. I still do the water changes, and siphon the poo off the bottom, but the food waste is minimal.
If the corys eat the extra food, then the fry can't gorge themselves as much, so their is less SBD. If they don't lay on the bottom as much, there is less ventrals that are lost. I use corys and like the benefits. If I lose an occasional fry, it is a natural culling taking place. I have a small salt content in the water, and the corys do well in it as well. This is just my opinion, but it works well for me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• P9180001__640_x_480_.jpg
    P9180001__640_x_480_.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 24
f250fisherman said:
I have a small salt content in the water, and the corys do well in it as well. This is just my opinion, but it works well for me.
Hi f250fisherman :)

I have to differ with you on that. Your corys are not doing well if there is salt in the water. :no:

While you may not see immediate deaths, the salt is causing irreparable damage to their liver and kidneys and their normal life expectancy is shortened accordingly.

so...is there a type of fish or something tha tone can put inot the fry raising tank to keep the fry moving and not have htem lose ventrals?

Snails sound like a good idea for cleanup, as pieces of poo is much easier to syphon up. But i doubt snails can help in keeping fry off the bottom :/

Inchworm, It's ok if we disagree. I am just posting my opinion based on experience and research. The breeder to the dwarf corys bred them in a tank with salt mixed in, just like he did on his Bettas he sent me. So if they were born in water with salt, raised in water with salt, and have swam and ate and lived for a yr in water with salt, I think they will be ok. I don't mind if someone disagrees, but I prefer to use advice given to me by someone in that field. Having a Masters in genetics makes that person very qualified to tell me the rights and wrongs of those things. The best thing if anyone disagrees, is to not follow the advice. Thats what I would do, not follow what I thought was wrong. RT knows his stuff, and I have followed his advice for some time now with no ill effects. I'm just trying to pass on whats been told to me, for those that wish to use it.

Attachments

• P9180001__640_x_480_.jpg
    P9180001__640_x_480_.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 29

Most reactions

Back