Betta And Goldfish Toghether! Yeah!

Definitely not something I'd recommend for anyone who doesn't already know freshwater like the back of their hand.
But something many experienced aquatists say is "There is a commen misconception that FW is easier to learn on than SW"
I've heard that before, but in my honest opinion, whoever says that is full of sh*t :lol:
I've been researching saltwater the past week and it's quite a great deal more complicated than freshwater, to be sure. Yes, freshwater planted tanks can require a lot of special care and such, but I know nothing about plants and can still maintain my planted tank... I seriously doubt I could do the same with corals.

ChestnutMoray55 -- Oh I'm almost certainly going to do it, but it'll be many a year before I think of setting up anything more than a species tank (the 5 gallon will be for a mantis shrimp). I prefer freshwater and am honestly not interested in having a reef tank, really, I just want a mantis shrimp and don't want his tank to be ugly *lol*

You want to make a 10G a salt water tank?!
Not gonna work
Just out of curiousity, why not?

As has been said since, too small- for a first time salt water tank DEFINITELY.
It's to do with oxygen in the water I believe- trying to remember what the book said- the oxygen levels in salt water being less than in fresh water for a start. You couldn't keep many fish. Here's a paragraph that shows that;
-----Aquarium size and stocking.
a. Surface area of tank. Fresh oxygen can reach the fish only through the surface area of the aquarium.
The larger the surface area, the larger the surface for oxygen to enter the water.
b. Type of fish. Coldwater freshwater ornamentals and coldwater marine ornamentals require more
oxygen than freshwater tropicals, with marine tropicals needing the most.

c. Rule of thumb: Calculate the surface area of an aquarium then divide by the following factors to
determine how many inches of fish the tank will hold: freshwater tropical = 12 square inches; freshwater
coldwater = 30 square inches; marine tropicals = 48 square inches. Example: A tank 48 inches long by
18 inches wide has a surface area of 864 square inches. If we want to keep freshwater tropicals in this
tank, divide 864 square inches by 12 square inches. Approximately 72 inches of fish can be kept in the
aquarium. -http://aquanic.org/publicat/govagen/ncae/bornatro.pdf

Regards size. Here is just one example of the kind of advice available on the web...
"You should be encouraged to purchase the largest system possible/practical. The bigger the tank, the easier it is to maintain, the more stable an environment it will provide, and the more flexible it will be for stocking and decorating. Remember that small displacement engine motorcycle, and hard-drive on your first PC? The bigger, the better. For saltwater systems you need forty gallons minimum for ensuring stability and adequate "cruising" space"-http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marineSetUp.htm

Not sure of his definition of minimum tank space, but the bigger the better still stands, particularly for a first time around marine tank.
I doubt this person would stick to the correct stocking levels to be honest.
Until someone has shown themselves to be capable of maintaining freshwater tropicals and coldwater fish in the best possible conditions for their health and wellbeing, I would fight shy of them taking on a project as complex as a miniature marine tank.

Incidentally- there is a world of difference between fish SURVIVING and THRIVING.
Responsible fish keepers want to see the LATTER. They are interested in providing their fish the best for the specific species. I haven't seen this posters other posts, but based on this one the only concern is what they fancy at the time and hang whether it's best for the fish.

Ihave2goldfish, If you want to murder your goldfish and betta, then wast 100 of £'s or $'s (where ever you come from) buy saltwater fish and killing them, keep up the good work your doing great. :X

If not, get a bigger tank for your goldfish (30g), a seperate tank for you betta (at least 5g) and wait another yr or so, till you even consider Salt water.

I certainly wouldn't recommend this. Betta's are tropical fish, and need tropical temperatures, while goldfish are coldwater, and need different temperatures. Also, goldfish create a lot of waste. A warmer goldfish tank would make difficult for the goldfish to breathe as O2 doesn't occur so easily in warmer water, plus warmer water is (and this is something for which I cannot give proof) often responsible for shortening a goldfishes lifespan.

What size tank are the goldies in?

It seems to me that as there are very many goldfish kept in the tropics, certainly not at coldwater temperatures and at even warmer temperatures than those recommended for tropical fish in temperate countries, and as I have read on this forum that slightly fancy godfishes such as Oranda should not be put in ponds in winter because it is too cold for them, likely that the Goldfish genus general has been taken from the tropics and mutated into a cold water fish rather than taken from say Europe to the tropics and mutated into a tropical fish.

Goldfish are part of the carp familly, which are not tropical. They are a bred mutation of carp from China. It's known and recorded, so there's no mneed to guess at where they are originally from.

Most reactions

Back