Betta Age Question

ChaseTheBetta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Does anyone know approximately how old a betta fish is when it is sold at a pet store? I'm trying to figure out Chase is. When I got him, I didn't think to ask how old he was! :blush:

How old are bettas when they are full grown? Chase hasn't really gotten any bigger since I got him, he looks the same now as he did when I got him.

Does anyone know approximately how old a betta fish is when it is sold at a pet store? I'm trying to figure out Chase is. When I got him, I didn't think to ask how old he was! :blush:

How old are bettas when they are full grown? Chase hasn't really gotten any bigger since I got him, he looks the same now as he did when I got him.

bettas can live 2 -3 years.
3 are in the best possible conditions, etc.
when you get a betta from a petstore, the good thing to assume is that they're already nearly a year old.
People are usually able to keep a betta alive from a petstore an average of a year, to a year and a half. Sometimes 2. :)

Wow, I feel lucky! The betta I got as a rescue from Jaded over a year ago is still alive and well.

I've also gotten some rather small bettas from PetCo in the last six months. I'd say they were maybe 4 months old or so. They have gotten a bit bigger since then.

Oh wow! I assumed that bettas were only 2 months old when you get them from pet stores! :blush: I guess because that's how old my hamsters were when we got them from the pet store.

So, Chase is actually almost 2 years old! Thanks for your help! :good:

Wow, I feel lucky! The betta I got as a rescue from Jaded over a year ago is still alive and well.

I've also gotten some rather small bettas from PetCo in the last six months. I'd say they were maybe 4 months old or so. They have gotten a bit bigger since then.

I have seen ALOT of almost adult fry in PetCo. PetCo is definitely an exception. I saw a girl who had to be less than 4 months old, but again, she's an exception that I believe proves the rule.
They want the bettas to have their full, big tails so they can impress people in buying them. Most people wouldn't buy a juvi because it doesn't have a big tail, and the colors aren't as striking, etc. :)

Most reactions

Back