Betta Advice Please

LauraFrog

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I was in the LFS today and I saw a female that I'd had my eye on - great match for a male of mine and marble geno. she's egged up really, really fast. She looks like shes' going to bust. It's not dropsy or anything nasty, she just looks really, really full of eggs. I have a VT male who's a combtail, with stunning colours, a large healthy fish in spawning condition and he's got a huge nest. The female is a CT.

1. Would I get at least some CT fry if I bred them? I'm trying to establish a line. I'm not worried if some or most are VT, there is enough demand for bettas full stop that I would be able to find them all good homes.
2. Is it safe to introduce them straight away if I do not release the female? (Ie keep her in a jar in his tank)
3. The female is small, probably only about three or four months old. Is there a possibility that she's already eggbound? Anything I should be doing to look after her if I get her.

Thanks in advance.

1. Would I get at least some CT fry if I bred them? I'm trying to establish a line. I'm not worried if some or most are VT, there is enough demand for bettas full stop that I would be able to find them all good homes.

Breeding a CT to a combtail will usually result in 25% Cts, 25% combtails, and 50% Vts because the Vt Gene is so dominant

2. Is it safe to introduce them straight away if I do not release the female? (Ie keep her in a jar in his tank)

Its safe to introduce them as long as you're not physically putting them together, but putting the female in a chimney or behind a divider, Then you can begin to condition them.

3. The female is small, probably only about three or four months old. Is there a possibility that she's already eggbound? Anything I should be doing to look after her if I get her.

Im sure shes just really eggy, carry on like you want to with the breeding, but be careful, if shes really small and the males big he can do more damage to her if he wants to, so keep a close eye on them!

Most reactions

Back