Best way to clean water?

Helium_Junkie

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi everyone :)
I have recently added some wood to my tank, after soaking for a week, and the waters gone slightly tanned. Only slightly.
I also really want to get rid of any last vestiges of medicines recently used.

What should I use for these 2 purposes? :)

Also, I have a froth problem... or so it would seem. I have an air curtain, and my filter kicks out teeny tiny air bubbles, and they seem to stay on the surface for some time, gathering around floating plants that I have. Looks like froth.
Thoughts?

Also, (sorry... hehe) my Nitrates went very high after adding the wood... this normal?

Helium_Junkie said:
Hi everyone :)
I have recently added some wood to my tank, after soaking for a week, and the waters gone slightly tanned. Only slightly.
I also really want to get rid of any last vestiges of medicines recently used.

What should I use for these 2 purposes? :)
activated carbon.

The bubbbles from air curtains should disappear after a second or two. If they stay as froth could be that the tank is not as clean as it should be. Are you doing regular water changes and gravel cleaning?

Last water change was a week ago, I try to do at least one change a week of about 30-40 litres in a 180. As much as is needed for the gravel to be cleaned. Should I do more? I heard too much would raise the pH and we have a high pH (hence the wood!).

I'm not sure I understand you properly. Do you use a gravel syphon or just clean the gravel with water changes?

Froth can form on tanks that are dirty. If you have large cichlids (like oscars for example) they can put out a lot of waste and froth can form on the top of the water. Large water changes should take care of that problem.

Water changes might help with the wood situation but it might take awhile. Did you try boiling the wood before putting it in the tank? I have heard that can help get rid of the tannins that cause the yellow water.

guppymonkey said:
Did you try boiling the wood before putting it in the tank? I have heard that can help get rid of the tannins that cause the yellow water.
No, no pots big enough :p

There really was no way to boil it.

I clean the gravel witha siphon, which removes water as it goes. So gravel clean + water change in one go :)

Most reactions

Back