Best way to breed snails...

Erised

Cheer up, the worst is yet to come. ~ P. Johnson
Reaction score
I really need some advice here. I've got an old 3gallon tank that I'm planning on using for snail breeding ... however, how on earth do you breed those things? My tanks always seem to stay pretty snailless!

I found this like somewhere --> http://www.aaquaria.com/aquasource/snailsforpuffers.shtml

However, I cant say it helped me much =/ I was hoping anyone here would have experience with breeding snails ... and preferable the cheapest way!!!! ... On the website noone mentioned the need to have a heater, somewhere on this forum I read that you DO need to have a heater?? ... I'm confused about all this now :p I'd really rather do it without making it as cheap as possible

Any advice would be appreciated.

well i dont know why you wanna wanna breed such things!!! they are annoying!

Mine keep breeding CONSTANTLY i cant stop them. Give them a good diet (algea wafers, which are for my bristlenose but the snails think they can eat it to :p) chuck in a heater put it to bout 26 and leave them. They will breed for sure, and if they dont mine must be on heat 24/7

LOL! ... reason I wanna breed snails is because I'm planning on getting dwarf puffers ... they need to eat snails like, twice a week to keep their teeth down. I could go around a buy shrimp all the time ... but that would make the hobby even more expensive!!

Thanks for the tips =)

Your question is a lot like asking "how do I smash my finger with a hammer". It's not something you have to strive for.... it'll just happen. And for most of us, happen far too frequently ;) As long as there's algae and excess food, and you have a few pond snails to start with..... you're in for a population explosion.

Right now, my main tank has more snails than my loaches can dispose of.... and that's probably gonna happen to you too with the puffers :(

I'd hope so! :p I've had my tanks for a year now, and I've got the occasional snail, but thats where it ends! dont get algae either! :eek: ... dont know What is up with my tanks! Guess I should concider myself lucky, loads of healthy fish and no annoyances :p

But really ... I hope its gets like that seeing as I'll need to feed them about 30 snails a week ... wish me luck :p

i dont have to do anything.. they just keep showing up.. i love em, theyre cool.. i donno why anyone would wanna kill a free cleanup crew, or free food for puffers

Erised,

Just add a few of the pond snails to the tank, and put in a plant or two, and they will take care of the rest!! LOL As long as they have some type of food, they will multiply by the dozens!! I have tons of them in my snail tank too! LOL

Ang

I'm trying to breed snails for the same reason. My cute little puffers need food. I have a bunch of snails from work in my 2g w/ a heater and an undergravel filter. I've given them algae wafers and zucchini but they don't seem to breed. So good luck!

Too many snails for your puffers to eat? :eek: I had two sickly skinny puffers that I had to temporarily put in my snail tank. I thought, They'll only eat a few (it was hard to get them to eat anyway) Within 24 hours, they had eaten every snail in that tank. There must have been over 25 in there. Needles to say, my skinny puffs now had large round bellies :rofl: Too many snails??

Kim :huh:

Angjo72 said:
petsmartchic,

are they pond snails or apple snails??

Ang
Most are just the common little pest snails that come in w/ plants. Some are ram's horn and others are trumpet snails. I just take them from work.

LittlePuff- I know puffers will over-eat. I originally thought I could try to breed the snails w/ the puffers until they ate every single one by the next day. I haven't been giving them the snails from my tank since I'm trying to give them a chance to breed. So I don't know what's going on.

Most reactions

Back