Best Substrate For Plants?

joeyh51

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,

As the title says, whats the best substrate to use for plants? I'm just about to upgrade to a new tank (possibly discus) and want it nicely planted, so is there anything that they grow better/healthier in?

It depends on what you're trying to do with the tank. I am trying out baked clay cat litter under a layer of sand in a lower-tech setup right now, and that's working out pretty well, although I cannot tell if it's making any difference.

For most of my aquarium keeping life, I have used just sand with mulm mixed in, and that seems to have worked better than for most people.

One thing I did give up on as soon as I tried it was soil under a layer of sand: that was very messy!

I was thinking about a sand substrate. I want to put together quite a nice planted setup, but nothing too intense that requires CO2 injection. Going to be decorated with bogwood so will most likely have anubis growing on that, then a variety of other plants around the tank.

Hoping for this to be my first discus tank, with cardinals and maybe a couple of other species.

joeyh51 said:
I was thinking about a sand substrate. I want to put together quite a nice planted setup, but nothing too intense that requires CO2 injection. Going to be decorated with bogwood so will most likely have anubis growing on that, then a variety of other plants around the tank.

Hoping for this to be my first discus tank, with cardinals and maybe a couple of other species.

I think most people have sand substrate and very few issues growing plants. It looks like the serious aquascapers go down the nutrient substrate route, but I am certainly having no issues with sand and plant growth in my tank

Ive always used inert sand with my planted tanks and had great success, even nice thick hair grass lawns. But have just set up a nano using ADA Amazonia, in two weeks Ive had more growth than a month in sand.

The outright answer is probably ADA, with any others that are mined in the same place coming in an around. The other clays etc below that.
They're good because of the nutrient content (ammonia giving a large boost).
But there's no reason a sand substrate can't give good results, especially if you dose properly and avoid compaction.

I want to put together quite a nice planted setup, but nothing too intense that requires CO2 injection

Be sure to keep your lighting low-medium. :good:

I've always wondered about this, whats a good hours per day to have lighting on for?

6-8, but it's all relative. Light drives the plant so if you don't want to dose CO2 you have to make sure there's enough in the water naturally to supply the plant, the higher the light output or the longer the lights are on for the more they will need.
Although I don't believe it's a linear scale, such as they need more CO2 at the start of their day etc....

I've always wondered about this, whats a good hours per day to have lighting on for?
That, again, depends on the setup: I have lights on for around 12 hours, but most people have trouble with lights on for over 8 hours. Some on here claim that 4 hours of light is enough for plants, while most scientific research I have read usually uses 8 hours for research (and almost always 7-10 hours). I recommend that you start at 8 hours and see which way you need to go from there.

I would advise against any substrate that will release ammonia because it will release ammonia. I don't know whether the ammonia is actually ammonia, ammonium or something else, but at the very least, *if* it is not harmful, it registers on tests, which gives most people far too much headache and means that it is more difficult to test for harmful ammonia itself. If you really do want a slow-release substrate, then any clay is fine. I used Tesco Low Dust Lightweight Cat Litter (pink bags with white cat on them), which is competitively priced at around 3 GBP per 12 litres (by the way, "Low Dust" is a big, fat lie, it took more washing than sand).

I would advise against any substrate that will release ammonia because it will release ammonia.

Its not a bad thing, he is starting a new tank, so it will start the filter cycling with no fish needed :)

OK, Let me get my helmet and flack vest on so I can post :p

In the end the goal is to have a nutritious substrate. There are any number of ways this can be accomplished. The difference between them will boil down to two issues. What you start with and what you add. And they in turn will determine how long it takes to have a nutritious substrate in place, how much it will cost you and how often you have to supplement it.

I chose to spend my money elsewhere and developed my own over time. I mostly use only laterite and small sized aquarium gravel . However, it takes a few months for my substrate to build up the mulms etc needed to become truly nutritious. But the cost is minimal. You can do this in sand just a easily. I also add substrate ferts every few months in many of my planted tanks. (The specific types of plants in a tank determine if and how often I may do this.)

Anything ADA sells will come loaded with stuff that one could add a lot cheaper or more naturally and get the same results over the longer term. But if you are impatient, don't want to do the work yourself and do not mind overpaying for things, then the ADA soil works great and faster. However, it is not a magical potion that will work forever. No matter what subtrate one uses, the plants will eventually use up many of the available nutrients and they will have to be replaced.

The only thing I would say is important when choosing a planted substrate is that you choose one which is finer grained. Aquatic plant roots tend to do best in a finer grained substrate, especially for the more delicate foreground plants. How you deliver the proper nutrients is up to you.

Finally, while many folks do agree with the above, plenty of folks will not.

I would advise against any substrate that will release ammonia because it will release ammonia.
Its not a bad thing, he is starting a new tank, so it will start the filter cycling with no fish needed :)
That is true, I just assumed that the OP would be moving in cycled filter and plants on day 1, or silent cycling, because lights and fish-less cycles are not compatible if one wants to avoid algae as ammonia is algae food. After all, it wouldn't make sense to pay extra for an ammonia rich substrate, then waste it on a cycle when one can cycle cheaper with household ammonia.

Sand substrate works pretty well. I had no issues with it, and my plants were healthy :)

C.J. said:
Sand substrate works pretty well. I had no issues with it, and my plants were healthy :)

For me sand is fine, nutrient tabs every couple of months around the roots of the plants that need them, and liquid fert for the rest. Simples!

Most reactions

Back