Best price on a 55 gallon???

This is on Maidenhead Aquatics UK💀
Capture.JPG

I got my 60L cube from a company based in Austria as it was £25+ cheaper incl delivery. Secondhand is the way to go, or cheaper imports it seems in the UK. My old Fluval Flex cost me £76 brand new 3 and a bit years back. Here's an average price nowadays.
Capture.JPG

I think there is a degree of serious profit taking with tanks, as the increase in Canada since before the pandemic just doesn't add up. We had very cheap aquariums, for those who shopped around. Our dollar is weak compared to the USD, but pre-pandemic, I paid $25 CAD for a 20 gallon. Now, the same tank would be $75. And in my small city, more than that. If I bought a pallet of 10s, I could get them for $30. I bought some pre-pandemic for $15 each, and saw some poorly made ones for $10.

Here, stores are retreating from dry goods. It used to be fish broke even and profits were from dry goods, but now everyone buys equipment and food online. Fish are what keep a store alive around here, so prices have shot way up. I like to support my lfs, but really don't like their fish.

The last time I went for food, they had hardly any on the shelves. It's been the same in 3 other regional stores. The number of tanks has increased, and the shelves for dry goods have vanished. I'd love this if they got good fish in, but alas, bread and butter fish are more like white bread and margarine fish in the closest stores.

I don't know if stores in other countries have the same questions.

What are prices like in the UK, the EU and in Australia?
Hideously overpriced. :(
The links below are just an example from some of the shops here. They are all similarly priced and some shops are a lot more expensive. Part of the price comes down to do you want super duper fancy expensive glass that is supposedly clearer than normal glass. I can't see any difference between them, maybe others can.

The video at the bottom of this page at the following link is not about aquariums but a Betta farm and might freak a few people out.

I think there is a degree of serious profit taking with tanks, as the increase in Canada since before the pandemic just doesn't add up. We had very cheap aquariums, for those who shopped around. Our dollar is weak compared to the USD, but pre-pandemic, I paid $25 CAD for a 20 gallon. Now, the same tank would be $75. And in my small city, more than that. If I bought a pallet of 10s, I could get them for $30. I bought some pre-pandemic for $15 each, and saw some poorly made ones for $10.

Here, stores are retreating from dry goods. It used to be fish broke even and profits were from dry goods, but now everyone buys equipment and food online. Fish are what keep a store alive around here, so prices have shot way up. I like to support my lfs, but really don't like their fish.

I don't know if stores in other countries have the same questions.
Everything has gone up around the world since the pandemic, not just fish stuff but everything. Businesses cashing in and taking as much as they can from consumers. Our two major supermarkets here (Coles and Woolworths) were both investigated recently for price matching and price gouging. They were making billions during the pandemic (profits were way higher than pre-pandemic). Governments don't care and are probably involved because they allow it to happen. They allowed covid to spread and screw up economies as well as kill people. It's almost like they wanted this to happen so the rich could get more control on the world and put the rest of us slaves back in the sand pit where we were 200 years ago. The only difference between slavery then and now is the lack of whips, a tiny pay packet, and we can go home to our families at the end of the day. But we still have no money, struggle to pay rent and buy food, and get poorer while the dirty minority get richer and more powerful at our expense.

We have major increases in power costs here due to incompetent governments allowing private companies to take control of gas, coal and other resources used to produce electricity and other things. These companies sell all the gas, coal and oil they get from here on the open market. We have to pay world prices to buy our own products back. Due to the massive increase in power prices over the last 2 years, the federal government gave every household in the country a $300 energy payment to help with the cost of living.

Why do people earning millions of dollars or even hundreds of thousands of dollars each year need a $300 energy payment from the government?

Poor people needed it but rich people use more power to keep their bigger houses cool in summer and warm in winter. I don't even have airconditioning or heating here. They usually drive bigger cars that use more fuel. They use more resources than poor people living in tiny units. So why the hell do the rich need a government handout for energy when they can afford the bills?

The world is falling apart and the great divide between rich and poor is increasing because of greedy rich scumbags and useless governments.

Most reactions

Back