Best conditioner

• Amquel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aquasafe

• other...

• Total voters
only 2 drops!? im using amquel and its 9 drops per gallon!!! how many drops for aquasafe? I hard that aqua safe also helps in bacteria developement and slime coat

API Water Conditioner. Extremely cheap, reliable, and handles chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals. Amquel's good too, since it handles various organics, but you cant argue with the 10,000 gallones per bottle of API/

I treat 4.5 gallons of water with 6 drops of prime using my dropper. Who knows what it is with another dropper. I have a graduated dropper and estimated the conversion for 5 ml to 50 gallons as 1 ml for 10 gallons. The half a ml in the dropper takes 6 drops to run out thus 6 drops per 4.5 gallons. If the dropper were a different size, the number of drops would change. A drop is determined by the size of the bottom of the dropper and the surface tension of the drop so there's no point in counting unless you have a measurement for your dropper and the particular liquid you are using.

For anyone considering using Prime, or currently using Prime, I picked up a great tip for dosing...
If you can find and buy the smallest bottle they make ( I forget the size exactly) the cap is setup as a dropper, that is, it has a small hole in it for dosing. Buy one small bottle and one large bottle for refilling it, and you're good to go. No droppers necessary and dosing becomes a piece of cake.

-Brad

I use an eye dropper. I calculated 2 drops per gallon.

the back of a Prime container says: 1 capful per 50 gallons. I filled a cap and measured how many drops was in the cap= approximately 100 drops. a simple equation; 50 = 1
100 X X=2

I treat 4.5 gallons of water with 6 drops of prime using my dropper. Who knows what it is with another dropper. I have a graduated dropper and estimated the conversion for 5 ml to 50 gallons as 1 ml for 10 gallons. The half a ml in the dropper takes 6 drops to run out thus 6 drops per 4.5 gallons. If the dropper were a different size, the number of drops would change. A drop is determined by the size of the bottom of the dropper and the surface tension of the drop so there's no point in counting unless you have a measurement for your dropper and the particular liquid you are using.

The way I understand it drop size is determined by viscosity, not the size of the opening it comes out of. A drop of water coming out of a bucket is the same size as a drop coming out of an eyedropper. Fill your eyedropper with something thick like pancake mix, and see what size drop you get. Don't waste the mix after this, make some pancakes.

Prime is close enough in viscosity to water to measure at the same drop rate, 20 drops per ml.

Hi
I am a german JBL addict :hyper: . I use Biotopol Plus against chlore and chloramines. It is a slimy product, the aloe vera develop the mucus of the fish to protect them. About £9.90 for 1600l treated
Then Denitrol every 2 weeks to maintain a high level of bacteria against NH4 and NO2. £9.90 for 3000 l treated
Good value, good products

Aquasafe cost a lot of money to treat nothing! But it is famous.

The JBL water conditioner, Biotopol Plus, may be good, but I have never used it. Most waterconditioners do the same job, but if you keep discus and similar fish, the Alovera that various companies add to their conditioners is acctualy an irritant to them, and overdosing can lead to problems with such fish. :sad: I also don't see the need to make fish go through the aditional stress of an irritant being used to create more slime coat after a waterchange. They can produce the slime coat themselves, without help :nod:

Denitrol is useless. It contains DEAD bacteria... The bottle is hermetically sealed and no oxygen can get in. Without air, bacteria die off at a rate of 90% per hour. The sealed bottle is almost completely dead within 24 hours. After a few months in the shipping process, I'd be shocked if you could even find one live bacteria in the bottle. Waste of money, stear clear. If you which to show me how these products could possible work, give me three items of research, that aren't manufacturers websites, and that clearly list their sources, or a peer-reviewed scientific paper, either way :good:

All the best
Rabbut

The JBL water conditioner, Biotopol Plus, may be good, but I have never used it. Most waterconditioners do the same job, but if you keep discus and similar fish, the Alovera that various companies add to their conditioners is acctualy an irritant to them, and overdosing can lead to problems with such fish. :sad: I also don't see the need to make fish go through the aditional stress of an irritant being used to create more slime coat after a waterchange. They can produce the slime coat themselves, without help :nod:

Denitrol is useless. It contains DEAD bacteria... The bottle is hermetically sealed and no oxygen can get in. Without air, bacteria die off at a rate of 90% per hour. The sealed bottle is almost completely dead within 24 hours. After a few months in the shipping process, I'd be shocked if you could even find one live bacteria in the bottle. Waste of money, stear clear. If you which to show me how these products could possible work, give me three items of research, that aren't manufacturers websites, and that clearly list their sources, or a peer-reviewed scientific paper, either way :good:

All the best
Rabbut

OK Rabbut, I will try to demonstrate it works. You are rude with me tonight! :lol:
I agree regarding the water conditionner even if I don't understand why aloe vera is irritant for the Discus. Can you explain please, I am interested...

The only experience I have done on the bacteria was to use different brand products in different aquarium with a high level of NH4 and NO2 (I was working in a shop). After 4-5 days, the level was very low on the tanks we had used Denitrol and Bactinettes. The others were still high. Then we have sold Denitrol for a while, we hadn't had any complain (when the customer had a biological media). The company seems to use a product to maintain the bacteria as a dormant state. It takes 1-2 days to be again fully efficient.
Again it is a good help to save the fish when you have a very small internal filter. That effectively my only point of view.
Story to follow :p

Most reactions

Back