Best Internal Filter?

Jenks74

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After some advice on which internal filter to buy, to run along side my external to try and 'polish' the water in the tank.

After months of trying to remove the particles that plague the otherwise perfect water conditions (water changes-numerous, filter floss-changed many many times), i've resorted to buying an internal to try and clear the problem.

At the moment i've been running a eheim biopower 200, which imo has been a complete waste of money just down to it hardly filtering anything at all - extremely disappointed with this filter to be honest (granted it is designed to be more of a biological filter, than a polishing filter).

The other two filters that i have on order which should be arriving monday or tuesday (hopefully), are the eheim 2012 pickup and the fluval U4.

If anybody has any experience on using either filter, be good to get there views :good:

Thanks in advance everyone

Nick.

Hi everyone,

After some advice on which internal filter to buy, to run along side my external to try and 'polish' the water in the tank.

After months of trying to remove the particles that plague the otherwise perfect water conditions (water changes-numerous, filter floss-changed many many times), i've resorted to buying an internal to try and clear the problem.

At the moment i've been running a eheim biopower 200, which imo has been a complete waste of money just down to it hardly filtering anything at all - extremely disappointed with this filter to be honest (granted it is designed to be more of a biological filter, than a polishing filter).

The other two filters that i have on order which should be arriving monday or tuesday (hopefully), are the eheim 2012 pickup and the fluval U4.

If anybody has any experience on using either filter, be good to get there views :good:

Thanks in advance everyone

Nick.
My brother in-law is using the Fluval in his 120lt, he never has a problem with specks in the water.

I've got a Fluval U3 on a 100 litre tank and really impressed with it so far.

The fluval internal's have got quite a good write-up from what i can find online, been thinking that maybe the one to use.

I have a Fluval U3
It does tend to need cleaning more than my old one did as it gets gunked up & the flow slows down.
I have no floss in it, just the sponges & ceramic media & I get those annoying particles, might have to get some floss & see if that helps.
Oh, & it's very bulky & takes up a lot of space in the tank

After much debating, and the purchase of three internal filters lol - ive ended up going with the eheim 2012 pickup.

Had an eheim biopower 200 in my tank for 3 days, an didnt really think a great deal of it to be honest - it didnt really pick up many of the 'small particles'. My eheim pick up arrived today while i was at work, so fitted it when i got home and so for the money aspect anyway i'm really happy with it (hoping to come home from work tomorrow to see a gleaming tank lol).

The fluval U4 i'm expecting to arrive tomorrow, but i'm going to be returning it partly due to the cost of the replacement filters (only really need an internal to try an 'polish' the water, my external takes care of the heavy work).

Thanks to everybody for taking the time to reply. :good:

you could've used a elite jetflo 150... that has a HUGE media area for foam sponge floss ETC...

you could've used a elite jetflo 150... that has a HUGE media area for foam sponge floss ETC...
Elite jetflo 150, never heard of them - guessing that you can get them from ebay though..?

I'm really interested to know what sort of particles are plaguing your water that would require an internal filter, if you external is doing a proper job. Unless I'm accepting less than perfect conditions, my water is as clear as a bell to me. There are bound to be the odd bit of plant leaf or similar floating about for a while. Hope you find satisfaction with one or other of your many filters.

I'm really interested to know what sort of particles are plaguing your water that would require an internal filter, if you external is doing a proper job. Unless I'm accepting less than perfect conditions, my water is as clear as a bell to me. There are bound to be the odd bit of plant leaf or similar floating about for a while. Hope you find satisfaction with one or other of your many filters.
Almost like grains of sand that float with neutral buoyancy , that no matter how many water changes or how much filter floss/or pads that i use - it never seems to clear.

Had my 55gal tank setup for about 7 months now, an its really starting to bug me as i just cant seem to get the water 'polished'.

The external that im running is a fluval 405, which at first i thought was ok but now theres little things about it that are starting to bug me - namely the amount of 'gunk' that gets caught in the ribbed pipes only to get fired back into the tank when you restart.

Think that next on my purchase list is an eheim 2075, hopefully that'll sort the problem :sad:

I can't help thinking there's some other problem but I'm not experienced enough to say what . Sorry! You must have spent a fortune on filters.
I've got a feeling that it was the argos play sand that i used to top my substrate, pretty sure that i didnt wash enough an thats how ive had the problems since.

Try'd doing most things to clear it, filter floss/loads of big water changes but nothing seems to work... Upgraded my filter from a allpondsolutions one to a fluval 405, had an 'old school' internal running for a while then bought a eheim biopower which didnt seem to do a great deal. Now running a eheim pickup 2012 in the tank, along side my 405 and ive came home from work today and the water is seeming alot better (had the pickup in the tank 3 days now).

Hopefully should seem a vast improvement by this time next week.

What size tank do you have. Fluval u3 can do up to 150 litres. They are brilliantblittle filters with. Multiboutput options including output power control.

Most reactions

Back