Best Fliter For An 80l Tank

glasgow

Reaction score
I've two 80l tanks, one has a Fluval 2+ and the other now has a 3+ which I inherited. The 3+ makes a racket, and given it is second hand, I've decided to replace it. I was swithering between a 2+ and a 3+ and then saw that Fluval now don't do either so it would be a U2 or a U3. Not sure about which of these or whether to go for something else altogether.

The tank isn't heavily populated (12 tetra, 3 clown loaches, and a plec, plus a few plants - but I'd want a filter with flexibility over the years. The U2/2+ are 40-90l, but I wonder whether it is better to have a bigger filter than technically necessary?

I've a larger tank with an external, but I don't think I want to shell out for another one of these for an 80l tank.

Advice?

The tank isn't heavily populated (12 tetra, 3 clown loaches, and a plec)
That is way overstocked for an 80l tank with the clown loaches. IMO you should address the stocking issues before sorting out the new filter :/

The clown loaches are currently about 3cm long. I wasn't aware how big they might grow when I bought them - I fully expect to have to move them later. However, they, plus 12 glowlight tetras are certainly not too much for the tank at the moment, or in the near future.

As long as you are aware they will require a minimum 75g tank quite soon as growth is rapid up to about 6" before they slow down. Once adult a 6' x 2' x 2' tank is recommended with a shoal of around 6 fish. They require overfiltering on the tank so forget buying an internal as you will have to get an external. By the way, what type of plec is it? Even when small they create a large bioload which only gets worse as they get bigger.

As long as you are aware they will require a minimum 75g tank quite soon as growth is rapid up to about 6" before they slow down. Once adult a 6' x 2' x 2' tank is recommended with a shoal of around 6 fish. They require overfiltering on the tank so forget buying an internal as you will have to get an external. By the way, what type of plec is it? Even when small they create a large bioload which only gets worse as they get bigger.

I didn't know how big they could get when I bought them, and the LFS didn't mention it. I've had them since June and they've not grown much at all. I've got a 200l tank with a good external filter in the other room, so I can move them there when they outgrow the 80l. If they get bigger than that, I guess I'll have to see whether the LFS will take them back - I can't do a bigger tank. The Plec I've had nearly a year, it's about 10cm now. I've always expected to move it to my other tank when it got much bigger. I do monitor water quality quite closely, and have no trouble keeping it very high. The readings are always zero, or not far off.

As you're other tank is a 55g and your clown loaches will require a 75g minimum very soon and ultimately a 6'x2'x2' tank it is obvious you cannot provide an adequate tank for them now, let alone later when they become adult, so it would be better to rehome them now rather than risking their health by keeping them in improper conditions :/

You can enjoy them for a few years yet, they are not the fastest growers, but they do get prone to white spot if they are not kept in a stress free environment. (ideally keep them in the 55g)

As for a filter, the Aquamanta range from Maidenhead Aquatics is pretty good, they have both internal and external versions. Personally, i'd grab an external.

Most reactions

Back