Best fish to breed for someone getting back into hobby

Hello all,
I was into fish keeping some years ago and active on this forum before getting out of the hobby as I decided it was getting too expensive and wasting too much time as I had 5 tanks. I am now looking at getting back into the hobby on a smaller scale. I am wondering what fish you recommend if a begginer to intermediate hobbiest wants to breed? Still yet to work out what water parameters and such but just want a few ideas thrown out there. Am even going with a small pond which in that case it would be goldfish or a 64 liter tank I have stored away.
Kia Ora, Unless you have a dedicated grow out tank then live bearers like endlers, and other guppies are great, also a good investment is a floating birthing tank, so your fry can avoid been eaten. Dwarf cichlids are not hard to breed either and they are beautiful, but you'll need to set your parameters right for them, a mistake people make is when the eggs have been moved to the cave or half a coconut or whatever you choose (and the fish of course) they will leave them, the mother will be great but after constantly looking after the eggs, fanning them and so forth she becomes hungry and leaves the eggs or wrigglers to feed, then the eggs become Macdonalds for other fish, I like to spot feed her with a long turkey baster at the eggs location, that way she's always there protecting them. You might get a good price in cash or shop credit if you do ok. A separate grow out tank is good to have if you're serious about breeding.

Research your food for the fry, shrimp eggs hatched are better as they get older, I also mix egg yolk in water into a paste and use the turkey baster again to spot feed them. A mistake people make is feed baby very young fry unhatched eggs, their little systems struggle with the shells so live is best and they'll get great nutrients for growth. There is a great brine shrimp system I use made by "Hobby". It's so easy. On Amazon. And of course most of your other fish will love a bite of brine shrimp every now and then.

Most babies as they grow will benefit from live food as it strengths their systems against infections, gives them good nutrients, and helps bone growth.

Most Cory's are fairly easy, but you really need a separate birthing, grow out tank. Set your parameters and wait lol. The Cory's will often lay the eggs on maybe the tank glass, and then leave them to it, so the eggs can be removed very carefully with a razor and transferred to your birthing tank.

A lot depends upon what else you intend keeping, some will hone in on babies and eggs right away. Great you're here, welcome back. have fun. Kia Kaha, Phil.

Got my guppies today!🥳
Just wondering what you would call the colour varient of this female?
20230925_131852.jpg

Got my guppies today!🥳
Just wondering what you would call the colour varient of this female?View attachment 327762
This is a commercial fancy strain. It's called tuxedo magenta. But in the commercial world it's also known as pink tuxedo, HB magenta and flamenco dancer. This strain belongs to the socalled velvet guppies (because of the velvety look). It's a fancy strain that already exist for over a decade.

You could try breeding neolamprologus brevis, (Shell dwellers)
Very easy to breed, you'll soon have a tank full and with the right aquascape it can make a very impressive display.

This is a commercial fancy strain. It's called tuxedo magenta. But in the commercial world it's also known as pink tuxedo, HB magenta and flamenco dancer. This strain belongs to the socalled velvet guppies (because of the velvety look). It's a fancy strain that already exist for over a decade.
Ok thanks for your help very interesting

You could try breeding neolamprologus brevis, (Shell dwellers)
Very easy to breed, you'll soon have a tank full and with the right aquascape it can make a very impressive display.
Yes I might think about breeding them at a later date...thanks for the suggestions

Most reactions

Back