Best fish for beginners?

addisfinalfilm

Reaction score
I have been keeping fish for about 9 months now but just recently upgraded from a 10 gallon tank to a 40 gallon. I moved my 4 cherry barbs into the 40 gallon (which they are doing great in) but I also purchased 8 mollies and a pleco to add in as well. I researched the mollies and pleco for weeks prior before adding them and everything I had read said mollies are easy and beginner friendly fish. They have all slowly died over the few weeks i've had them and only two black mollies have survived (and the pleco and cherry barbs of course). After trying to figure out why that is, I've seen what I didn't initially see which is that they really aren't that easy to keep and probably aren't the best fish for someone not so experienced like me. So I figured it would be better to come on a site like this and ask what fish are actually good beginner fish. Sorry for the long thread, and thanks to anyone who replies!

Most members on here would suggest keeping fish that suits your tap water parameters unless you use RO water. Do you know what hardness your water is? I believe mollies prefer harder water and cherry barbs soft-medium hardness.

If you are on mains water, look on your water provider's website and see if they give your hardness. You need a number and the unit of measurement rather than some vague words - the unit is important as there are several they could use.
If you are on well water, the simplest would be to take a sample of your tap water to a fish store and ask them to test for GH. Again, get a number and the unit of measurement.
The most expensive way is to buy a GH tester.

Once you know your water, choosing fish becomes easier. Then it becomes a narrower list, and you have a good chance of success with the fish you like the most from that list. Choice is crucial, and after that it's doing tank maintenance with weekly water changes, not overfeeding and setting up the tank right. 90% of early fish deaths come from buying sick fish, or buying fish that can't thrive in the water you have available. Once you get healthy, well researched fish (ie, predator prey problems avoided, etc) into healthy, well researched water, it's easy.

It's good to be aware of the cycle as well.

Did you transfer the old filter into the new tank when you moved the cherry barbs into it?
If not, you could have ammonia or nitrite problems.

Mollies need hard water (GH 250ppm+). If they are kept in soft water they die. They are usually infested with intestinal worms, gill flukes and external protozoan parasites.

Cherry barbs and suckermouth catfish come from soft water GH below 150ppm).

Any idea what species of pleco you got?
Some grow to 2 feet long and need massive tanks or ponds. Others only get to 3-5 inches long and are much better for aquariums. If you are unsure of the species, post a picture of it and we will try to ID it.

Did you transfer the old filter into the new tank when you moved the cherry barbs into it?
If not, you could have ammonia or nitrite problems.

Mollies need hard water (GH 250ppm+). If they are kept in soft water they die. They are usually infested with intestinal worms, gill flukes and external protozoan parasites.

Cherry barbs and suckermouth catfish come from soft water GH below 150ppm).

Any idea what species of pleco you got?
Some grow to 2 feet long and need massive tanks or ponds. Others only get to 3-5 inches long and are much better for aquariums. If you are unsure of the species, post a picture of it and we will try to ID it.
I did not, I kept the old filter in the other tank with a few African dwarf frogs. That could be the issue. I know the water is between medium and hard but I am looking into the water in my area to figure out exact numbers. One of the black ones has developed white dots and looks sick so I think it could also be Ich. It is a common pleco, I was planning on keeping it in this tank and upgrading the size as it grows.

Most members on here would suggest keeping fish that suits your tap water parameters unless you use RO water. Do you know what hardness your water is? I believe mollies prefer harder water and cherry barbs soft-medium hardness.
It is around medium-hard

I did not, I kept the old filter in the other tank with a few African dwarf frogs. That could be the issue. I know the water is between medium and hard but I am looking into the water in my area to figure out exact numbers. One of the black ones has developed white dots and looks sick so I think it could also be Ich. It is a common pleco, I was planning on keeping it in this tank and upgrading the size as it grows.
With a common pleco you will be doing a lot of tank upgrades. If you really plan on keeping it you may as well save money in the long run and just a 200+ gallon tank. You have a fish that can easily reach 2 feet in length.

When I started fishkeeping 30 years ago the local aquatic centre sold me a common pleco to combat algae. It was absolutely brilliant keeping my 40 gallon tank clean, and at that time I had no idea how big they grew. As it got bigger I could not bear the thought of getting rid of it, and I was not in a position to house it in a larger tank. It grew to be about 20 inches long, but nevertheless seemed happy in the tank. It lived for 28 years. With regard to the hardness of your water I have hard water of 320 ppm. Strangely I have found that I cannot keep mollies, platys, swordtails or Cardinals, all of whom are supposed to like hard water. However I have no problem keeping Clown Loaches, Corydoras, Congo Tetra's and Golden Gourami's who prefer soft water. Also the Common Pleco I had is better in softer water. My ph is 7.8 and the water temperature is normally about 27-28C. What is important is that I do regular 40% water changes every week, and only feed the fish 3 times a week.

Post pictures of the remaining fish so we can try to ID what is going on.

Get the water tested for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Get onto the water company or pet shop and find out exactly how hard the water is.

It is around medium-hard
Do you have numbers? Terms like "soft" or "hard" can be subjective. What's hard water for humans might not necessarily be so for fish.
You can usually find out on your water company website or you can look up your water's hardness online by zip code.

Most reactions

Back