Best Filter?

Amber192419

Reaction score
Hiya Everyone.

Ive recently started my new tank, I havent filled it yet. I have a fluval plus 3 filter? It was a couple of years ago that i used it I was thinking of upgrading upto a fluval plus 4? or does that seem a waste? should i just change the filter sponges etc.

Would a higher filter be more useful in the tank?

Thanks

the fluval + range has been replaced by the 'U' series, so the equivalents would now be the U3 and U4.

It really depends on what size tank you have. Think the U3 is rated for up to 150L, the U4 probably 200L but I'm not sure.

in general the more filtration the better, so long as you dont create a whirlpool environment where the fish are constantly battling the flow.

Hi Amber I have a Fluval Roma 200, dimensions are:-

Volume: approx. 200 Litres
Aquarium Measurements: 100 x 40 x 55 cm

I use a U4 and it's very good, you should get away with u3 for your tank and new sponges might be a good idea if they are very old.

The U3 is a very good filter, but if you can source an external then this would be better as the U3's are quite bulky. The sponges will be fine unless they are literally dropping to bits. Don't forget to cycle though!

I'd go with an external. There's some good ones one the market and mine does a far, far better job than the one that was supplied with the juwel tank ever did.

The thing with externals is the intake is far stronger than on an internal which is good for removing bigger particles over the internals.

I personally would go with an internal on a 3 foot, but stepping up to 4 foot i would use an external. All depends if you can hide the external in a stand or cabinet. They look a bit ugly when just shoved next to a tank.

I personally would go with an internal on a 3 foot, but stepping up to 4 foot i would use an external. All depends if you can hide the external in a stand or cabinet. They look a bit ugly when just shoved next to a tank.

Yeah thats true, but i think you should run an external on any tank of a decent size.

Thank you all for your advice its been great, ive been to the shops today. I was looking at the fluval U4 filter that looks pretty impressive so im considering going for that? I didnt see many externals and i wouldnt know what name would be best to look out for?

I dont actually know the litres of my tank :unsure:

How do I work it out? Im not sure but i have a feeling it might be 120 litres but cant be sure?

Heres a picture

SDC10180.jpg

I do have a cabinet underneath which could possibly hold an external. Would it be to much filtration if i had an external and a fluval u4 in the tank?

Thank you all for your advice its been great, ive been to the shops today. I was looking at the fluval U4 filter that looks pretty impressive so im considering going for that? I didnt see many externals and i wouldnt know what name would be best to look out for?

I dont actually know the litres of my tank :unsure:

How do I work it out? Im not sure but i have a feeling it might be 120 litres but cant be sure?

I do have a cabinet underneath which could possibly hold an external. Would it be to much filtration if i had an external and a fluval u4 in the tank?

Unsure of how much you are willing to spend but James (Verminator89) has a tetratec ex1200 external filter for sale maybe drop him a pm if you're interested. As for other good makes, fluval, eheim, aps, aqua one etc etc etc. They're all very good. More filtration the better imo, you can always use the spray bar on the U4 which gives an even flow, and if there is too much water circulation then you can always direct the flow at the glass. The U series by Fluval are very good filters, but they're very big and bulky so will take up a fair bit of internal tank space. I would go external everytime if you have the option.

I believe the U4's are about £40-£45 in the shops and i reckon James is looking for around the £60 mark so i would definately make the difference up as you are gaining all round!

Also, measure your tank dimensions. Width, Height and Depth then use an online calculator to work out the volume. :)

36inches long
12 inches width
14 inches high

volume 99

I think thats right?

Ive been looking at external filters today really seem interested in them! especially because im thinking of going to a 4ft tank in the future :)

x

Something like a TetraTEC ex700 would be a nice filter for your current setup. The future upgrade of tank would probably require the 1200 model though. Fluval models would be 105/205 now and 305/405 for the upgrade.

Having seen your tank now and have recently put in 2 x Tetratec ex1200's on my tank, i would +1 minnnts suggestion with the ex700. Great filters, well impressed.

Most reactions

Back