Best Filter For A 45L? Fluval U2 Or External?

audin

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I've got a 45L tank with 3 guppys in it. They are doing very well but the filter I currently have running (Rena Filstar iv2) is hopeless so the tank isn't looking good despite regular water changes. Loads of particles floating around. Tried foam and wool in with it but no joy.

Bought a Fluval U2 but it's huge so contemplating sending it back. Is it worth losing a large amount of internal space for this thing? Is it that good? Reviews say so but I'm not sure.

Was considering an external filter (never had one before) but I'm put off by what I've read suggesting a 45L is too small for an external and it'd just become a whirlpool.

What's the best option?

For me I think an external for a 45 liter is a bit of an overkill but hey, if it means there's more room for fish and stuff, why not? :)

What about an eheim aquaball 60? just come across it whilst browsing looks very good and seems to be rated better than the u2.

Will have a look at your link thanks :)

I used the U2 in my 90L for about 4 months. It does a good job and I like the Venturi valve. I switched to a Fluval 206 external to better the water quality and allow for higher stocking levels. I'm happy with it now but have to say when I first put it in I was concerned with the higher flow in the tank. I was concerned for the fish. I then drilled an extra couple of holes in the spray bar which reduced the flow slightly.

I wouldn't put it in a tank half the size of mine given my experience. The U2 is good albeit a bit bulky but can be hidden with carefully placed planting.

David

David J said:
I used the U2 in my 90L for about 4 months. It does a good job and I like the Venturi valve. I switched to a Fluval 206 external to better the water quality and allow for higher stocking levels. I'm happy with it now but have to say when I first put it in I was concerned with the higher flow in the tank. I was concerned for the fish. I then drilled an extra couple of holes in the spray bar which reduced the flow slightly.

I wouldn't put it in a tank half the size of mine given my experience. The U2 is good albeit a bit bulky but can be hidden with carefully placed planting.

David

So would you say a U2 isn't too big for a 45L?

Well... if he doesn't I will, yes it is a bit much for 45l

Fluval U series filters are very effective filters, but as you've discovered very bulky, + the poly/carbon inserts are quite expensive to run at the recommended intervals, I ended up using the frames of one set of these inserts to hold a sheet of poly wool in place in my U3 I got with my 125 tank, stick them low down near the bottom to hide them best and point the flow upward or use the spray bar pointed toward the glass. Foam only filters will look after a 45 litre with ease the foams will store lots of useful bacteria and you can also pack some wool in too that'll remove some finer particulates. I've actually got a Superfish Aqua-Flow 200 Internal (rated for aquariums of 100-200 litres) in my 40 litre tank 

Indeed, a sponge filter will serve you fine.

I will reiterate: think seriously about an APS filter. They are cheap, fairly small, and mine have been working just fine.

it's built like an external, so it is watertight and has an outflow pipe, but it comes with a bracket to hang it from the tank side, just as a matter of convenience if you want.

I have a u2 in my 95l tank. At first it was a lot bigger than my last one. Saying that its a great filter. However, I would say look else where for a smaller filter. Also the u2 is suitable for tanks up to 115l I'm sure. So it has got the capabilities. Check for a smaller filter

Hmm, think I might stick with my Rena Filstar iv2 for a little while longer. I put some filter wool in yesterday (the foam is hollow so I stuffed some wool in it) and it seems to be picking up more particles now. If it gets worse again I might look at that APS filter. Really wish I could get hold of an Eheim Classic 150 though they look perfect for what I need.

Thanks for making my mind up on the U2 everyone, it's going back tomorrow :)

I have the fuval u2 filter and I have been using the same one for a year so far it has been working very well and it is very easy to change the media.

Although I have only had one other filter before that and I am quite new to the hobby I have found that it has worked very well but yes it is quite large  

I hope I have helped :)

fish.gif

Most reactions

Back