Best Filter For A 3-Gallon Betta Tank?

Mosura

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just got a tetra 3-gallon tank for my Betta. The Whisper filter that came with it has a really weak output and there is bubbling/frothing coming out of the filter compartment. I've adjusted, tweaked, checked connections, etc. and still have same issues. So I'm wondering...is there a better small filter I could use for this tank? Thanks.
Mosura the Pest Snail Vanquisher

There are a few different types of small filters that will do the job for a small 3 gal betta tank.

It depends on what you want really. There are a number of small internal filters easily found online.

But as cooledwhip mentiones, a simple sponge filter driven by a air pump would be perfectly sufficient.

Here are two example of sponge filters that are used with a air pump -

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:76751]      [sharedmedia=core:attachments:76750]

Here is one that is used with a internal pump but do bear in mind this may create too much flow for a betta so some adjustments with the output may be required to get the flow just so for a betta in a 3 gal tank -

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:80294]

Those are just examples of what could be found, its just a matter of what you feel would appeal and work for you little tank :)

I use the first option and the second option that Ch4rlie mentioned. The first being better for smaller tanks. If you really need to you remove the second sponge and its "plastic lung" and have a single sponge filter, imagine it being cut in half. it only takes up half the space. 

I use adjustable HOB filter on my 2 Betta cubes.

ClearView 100 - Aqua One
Video is of my tank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4PxahQw9h8

I also use a micro HOB filter. just look on amazon for a mini hob filter, i think i have a mignon 50 or something like that

It's a mignon 60 to be exact, cost me $20 but its a great $20 spent. I put in some filter floss, and 3 ceramic noodles and thats it. My water is polished and looks CRYSTAL clear. I was so surprised, especially for a 2.5 gallon which normally are hard to get looking clear.

Think twice about a sponge filter.
They are driven by an air pump that is too noisy for where I place my tanks.
A mini or adjustable HOB may be a better choice.
Bettas don't like a whole lot of water movement.
Good luck.
March...

Ok...Have to recant my last post.
Set up an ATI "Mini"  sponge filter in my 5.5 gallon Betta tank.
Pulled out the HOB.
Fish seems happier and more relaxed (in spite of the cat.)
Feeding is easier.
Water movement seems sufficient.
Probably should have tried this a long time ago.
Yes the pump noise is irritating.
sneaky2.gif

Wrapped it in a towel, put it in a box, and put that in the overhead closet.
Problem solved.
I'll use the #1 when I set up my 10 gallon.
Cheers.
March...

The air pump will likely need to be in open rather than wrapped in a towel, its how in sucks in air to pump to the sponge.........

Sorry! :/

Air intake through the bottom of the pump seems to be sucking air ok where most of the folds of towel are.
Tried it myself and was able to breath.
Has been pumping twenty four hours.
Thanks for the caution.

Most reactions

Back