Best Filter For A 15 Gallon Planted Tank ?

R1ch13

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Need a cheap but effective filter for my 15 gallon planted tank

The one i have just now a little bit erm annoying lol!

I was thinking one of those Azoo Hobs .... what you think ?

Richie !

Do you want a hang on the back filter or an internal?

I have the Azoo HOB on my 25 litre nano, it's pretty good, I got it from AE, but apparently the one from Aquatics online is good. Ehiem aquaballs are pretty decent internals IMO, the internals will normally offer you more filtration, but HOB filters mean less clutter in the tank. You could go for a small external which would give you very good filtration, although they are a lot more expensive.

Mike

Hi

I'm really pleased with my Eheim Aquaball - it is quite powerful and has a good amount of filtration area and the option to even add a bit of Substrate Pro to the top bio filter section which I think is quite a bonus. You can also add extra sections to the bottom to increase the filter sponge area although, to be honest, it really takes in most of the water through the top-most section. It is quite bulky, however, but at least its green so kind of blends in with the plants.

I had a Fluval 1Plus before that and it was rubbish.

Ronan

Ehiem aquaballs are probably the best internals IMO, they are one of the only filters that I've found which evenly distribute the muck throughout each sponge, mine has never been clogged up and the flow rate can be adjusted to quite a few settings with bubbles or not. The Suckers are pretty good compared to most and as mentioned before it has the added bonus if being green (although personally I prefer black). The only downside I have experienced is that when you turn it off and move it around for maintenance, all the 'muck' goes bak into the tank, you can combat this by putting a jug under it when it is still on and then turn it off and remove it from the tank.

Overall a recommended filter.

Mike

I've got a Interpet PF2 going for a tenner plus P&P if you want it ?

PF207.jpg

Peter

15Gall id get an Eheim Ecco 2232 external canister.

DON'T get a fluval 2+! I have one on my 15 gal planted. It has been on roughly 2 weeks and i have cleaned it out 3 times and is needing another. The power on it is great for maybe 2-3 days after cleaning, but then just drops suddenly. It is a pain in the backside!

DON'T get a fluval 2+! I have one on my 15 gal planted. It has been on roughly 2 weeks and i have cleaned it out 3 times and is needing another. The power on it is great for maybe 2-3 days after cleaning, but then just drops suddenly. It is a pain in the backside!

An aquaclear 20 or 30 HOB would suit your needs perfectly. Adjustable flow, very quiet, and easily cleanable. A normal aquaclear sponge with a center hole cut out makes a great prefilter to prevent plant matter from cloging the intake too. :good:

Wow! I leave for 2 mins and all of these replies haha!

Thanks Guys !

Erm i dont have the Tenner now man!

Soo erm probs not just now but f you have it when i have the tenner then Yeah :p

Thanks alot

Richie

An aquaclear 20 or 30 HOB would suit your needs perfectly. Adjustable flow, very quiet, and easily cleanable. A normal aquaclear sponge with a center hole cut out makes a great prefilter to prevent plant matter from cloging the intake too. :good:

Ha, sounds good...only problem is a shelled out 20 odd quid on this piece of cr*p already :lol:! I wouldn't think I'd be able to take it back either, would I?

One of the AquaVital hang on filters would be good. Keeping the filter out of the tank means more space for fish and plants :)

Something like the AVHO400 for £15 would be OK:

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalogue...-on-filters.asp

Rip out the carbon though, it'll absorb the plant nutrients etc. Only thing of concern is that hang-on filters will usually conflict with any fitted hood on your aquarium, may need to trim the hood slightly.

You'll need a lot more CO2 with a HOB, trust me.

I'd go for an Eheim external personally. Take your pick from e-bay for less ££.

Ahh why is that ?

Rip out the carbon though, it'll absorb the plant nutrients etc. Only thing of concern is that hang-on filters will usually conflict with any fitted hood on your aquarium, may need to trim the hood slightly.

S'all good its open top :)

Most reactions

Back