Best Eel For 80 Gallon

nadajdui

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm still in the process of getting my 80 gallon together. But it will have a sandy substrate, and I really, really want an eel of some sort. It's no problem getting all the little holes in the cover covered. I'm just wondering which eel would be best. Tank dimensions are 48L 24T and 16W. Tank mates will be 3 juvie Ptychochromis oligacanthus, one keyhole cichlid, and one festivum. Oddly enough these fish all do fine together and like to follow the Festivum everywhere. :rolleyes:
I know a fire eel is way too large, and there are other species that get too big as well. What would be best for a first time eel keeper?
Thanks!

I have kept three species of asian spiny eels which are: Macrognathus circumcinctus, Macrognathus pancalus and what I now belive to be Macrognathus zebrinus. All are very nice colours and patterns, reasonably small species which shouldnt get any bigger than 8" long, but are likely to stay arround the 6" mark. Others include peacock spiny eels (and their varients, like "one stripe" etc). Like you said, the ones to avoid are fire eels, and also Mastacembelus armatus, the tyre track eel. Things like swamp eels etc are also not good for a tank that size...Have a look on the pinned topic on oddballs at the top of the oddball forum and it has some info on eels of differant species etc.

mike mentioned just about everything. lol.
imo, a peacock eel would do great. i'd had them before and they are able to cohibit with others of the same species, pairs or trios would be a great addition to probaby any tank

Okay, thanks guys. Um...well, does anyone know where I would find one of these peacock eels? I have never seen them for sale at pet stores in my area.

i'm not too sure about your area. they are kinda rare at my place as well. saw them once or twice the most. common imports include the fire eel and zigzag. you may want to ask your lfs about shipments and reserve some. they'd probably adhere but you may have to pay a small fee though.

Most reactions

Back