Best Camera?

mystus

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
What types of cameras do you guys use?

Which camera do you wish you had to take pictures of your aquarium fish?

What do you looking for in a camera to take pictures of aquarium fish?
MP or how fast the shutter closes or something else?

i have a Nikon D40. i would recommend it to anyone. even over its brothers the D60 etc, the only difference in the "better" models is the MP, and that only matters if you print bigger than A3/4 (professional photographer told me that)

MP or shutter speed depends on the camera IMO.

you can have a point and click camera that is 12mp, but the d40 with 6.1mp would be better as the shutter speed is quicker.

if you do get a camera (SLR or shoot and click) ALWAYS get a good name, one who deals with photography as a main.

Canon / nikon are very closely matched at being the best SLR, where as sony do one, but apparently it can be a bit poop. olympus are the best at point and click

MP don't really matter too much IMO. A 5MP or higher is all most people need IMO. MP only comes into play if you are blowing a picture up, like using it for a poster. Then you want a higher MP image. Most take pics and if they print them off they are usually standard 4x6" images. You don't need the high MP for this. My camera can go up to 10MP is always set at 5MP though, cuz I don't like the big file size of the images.

I use a Panasonic DMC-FZ28 with a 16GB card. Its a great camera IMO. Can do HD video if you want, but your computer will hate playing it back(1 min=1 GB of data). I stick to lower quality video which is still fantastic. The planted tank video in my sig was shot with it in non HD quality. It also has 18x optical zoom. Its a great all around camera. Shooting fish is hard business though, even with a good camera. I've gotten some great shots, both fish and nonfish. My avatar pic was shot with this camera.

The image in my sig was shot with a canon S1IS. Its super old, but still alive(somewhat). I wouldn't recommend it, just because its old. There are much better cameras for that price nowadays.

As for what I wish I had. I wish I had a nice canon, but the $ pushes me away. The only real reason I want a canon is so I can use CHDK and hack the camera.

What I look for in cameras is I want to be able to play with all the functions. No simple point and shoots. Using the Auto function on my panny always produces nice pics, but sometimes I want something diff. than what the camera wants. I like to be able to change the F stops, shutter speed, ISO, exposure. Do I know what all those do? No not completely :lol: . I understand the basics, messing with the settings helps. Eventually you figure out what does what and how to use it.

Nice video :good:

What type of fish is it in your sig?

So the MP doesn't matter as long as its 5 or up

So how can you tell how fast the shutter speed is and is the Olympus 8000 tough a pretty good camera?

Nice video :good:

What type of fish is it in your sig?

So the MP doesn't matter as long as its 5 or up

So how can you tell how fast the shutter speed is and is the Olympus 8000 tough a pretty good camera?

Thanks, the fish in my sig is Garra flavatra.

A MP of 5 or more will be fine, unless you plan to make large prints of pictures. Megapixel just refers to how many dots(pixels) make up the image. The higher the MP the more you can enlarge the image without it losing quality.

I don't quite know what you mean by how fast the shutter speed. Shutter speed is how long the camera's shutter is open taking the picture. If your target is moving then you normally want a fast shutter speed to make a clear picture. A long shutter speed will capture the movement and results in motion blur. Here are two example with my panny. This one has a faster shutter speed and freezes the water, while a slower shutter speed will pick up the waters movement and can greatly change how the picture comes out like here. Using a really fast shutter speed like 1/1600 of a second(fastest my camera can go) will result in a really dark pic because not enough light can enter the camera. Using the slowest speed (8 seconds) you need a dark room. Slow shutter speeds can be fun to play with. Walking around slowly infront of it during a slow shutter speed makes it look like there was a ghost going by. Usually if you look at a cameras specs it will list the fastest and slowest shutter speeds, if it doesn't then manually picking them probably isn't an option.

The Olympus 8000 tough certainly isn't a camera I would buy. I have no experience with the camera though, going by what amazon says it seems to be a simple point and shoot, with not a lot of custom options. If you want something that doesn't break it appears to be a good choice. Though here in WI being able to withstand 14*F doesn't make a camera freeze proof. I can tell you thats around the temp any LCD screen tends to slow down. I wouldn't take my panny out in those temps though. It looks like a nice pocket or purse camera if you plan to carry it around alot. I would only get it if you tend to break electronics, or plan to take it kayaking or skiing. It doesn't look like it can do video. Costs only a little less than the panasonic fz-28. The panny does need more expensive additional things. Neither come with memory cards, card for the panasonic will be much more if you want to shoot video. My 16GB high speed memory card was $40, if you are just taking pics you could get away with a 1GB card for a couple dollars. My panny is a bulky camera though, and definitely isn't something that will fit in most purses.

Another virtue of the high MP count is that you can take a small part of a picture that is made at a reasonable distance and crop it to show a single fish in decent detail. This picture of a fish only 1 1/2 inches long was taken from 2 feet away and cropped from a much larger picture. You may recognize it as my avatar.
Fem_roseni_L1024.jpg

Well for what I mean for shutter speed is it captures it fast so hopefully there isnt a blur where the fish was.

The camera I'm using now has 3.2 MP lol It's a fujifilm Finepix 3800

So lots of these cameras would be an upgrade.

How can you tell they shutter speed? For the mega pixels its MP whats it for shutter speed?

Another virtue of the high MP count is that you can take a small part of a picture that is made at a reasonable distance and crop it to show a single fish in decent detail. This picture of a fish only 1 1/2 inches long was taken from 2 feet away and cropped from a much larger picture. You may recognize it as my avatar.
Fem_roseni_L1024.jpg

What type of camera did you use to take that and what is your favorite camera to take pictures of fish?

I love my digital SLR it's an Olympic e410. It has 10 mp so when you crop the photo stays clear. A good macro lens is good. Mine has a few flash setting too that are handy. Along with manual settings. Manual focus is good to take a fast shot. Then a good editing program is helpful too.

Slr camera have so many options and setting for any needs.

Here are some of my photos.

mrsexy.jpg

sparknov.jpg

keynRam.jpg

Shutter speed is usually expressed in simple units like 60, 120, 240 etc. The numbers mean how many seconds the lens is open for light to pass. A 240 setting means it is open 1/240 of a second. The camera settings often go to 1000 or more as the fastest setting and down to about 60 as the slowest for a hand held camera. If you set up a camera to take a picture of something still, and mount it on a tripod, a 30 setting lets a lot of light through a small aperture and gives a sharp picture for things like a landscape where the whole thing will be in focus. If you have a very open aperture and a faster setting, you get just as much light to the sensor but things that are at the wrong distance are obviously out of focus. Getting the distance right becomes critical with an open lens and just needs to be sort of close with a pinpoint lens. The amount of the picture in sharp focus compared to all the objects in a picture is called depth of field. With a large depth of field,resulting from a small aperture, much more of the picture will be in a sharp focus.

The adjustment factors in a good camera are simple but the combinations are almost endless.

1. Aperture, the size of the hole that the light goes through. It is often measured in units called f-stops, another arcane system. This is where you affect the depth of field. Larger f-stops are smaller openings, backwards of course. If you want a large depth of field you use a larger number which means the opening in the lens is smaller.

2. Exposure, the amount of time the lens is open to pass light. This mainly affects how bright the image is when you get the picture. If it is not right, colors can fade badly from overexposure or objects can be hard to see in the dark picture of an underexposure.

3. Focus, the adjustment that you make, or is automatically made, to bring the image into a sharp focus on the sensor for a given distance from your subject. Be sure to focus on the main subject of the picture. Some camera automatic settings, including on my camera, will focus on the glass instead of the fish. That means manual focus only when I am shooting fish pictures.

Then you get into things like the lens number. A 50 mm lens is about a typical lens for a decent camera. The numbers go up as your lens goes into the telephoto region and it is a way of saying how big the image will be on the sensor for a given object. Bigger numbers are bigger images. We call a lens a telephoto if it magnifies the picture. We call it a wide angle lens if it makes the image seem smaller, that kind is good for capturing large objects from fairly close distances. I use a zoom lens so the magnification is yet another thing to fiddle with.

I use a rather nice digital SLR called a D-80 so my options are almost akin to those on a professional camera. I have been playing with SLR cameras for quite a long time so many of the things just seem to come easy now. Now my real focus when trying to improve my picture taking options comes down to choosing the right lens for what I want to do. Unfortunately the lenses can cost more than the camera.

Shutter speed is usually expressed in simple units like 60, 120, 240 etc. The numbers mean how many seconds the lens is open for light to pass. A 240 setting means it is open 1/240 of a second. The camera settings often go to 1000 or more as the fastest setting and down to about 60 as the slowest for a hand held camera. If you set up a camera to take a picture of something still, and mount it on a tripod, a 30 setting lets a lot of light through a small aperture and gives a sharp picture for things like a landscape where the whole thing will be in focus. If you have a very open aperture and a faster setting, you get just as much light to the sensor but things that are at the wrong distance are obviously out of focus. Getting the distance right becomes critical with an open lens and just needs to be sort of close with a pinpoint lens. The amount of the picture in sharp focus compared to all the objects in a picture is called depth of field. With a large depth of field,resulting from a small aperture, much more of the picture will be in a sharp focus.

The adjustment factors in a good camera are simple but the combinations are almost endless.

1. Aperture, the size of the hole that the light goes through. It is often measured in units called f-stops, another arcane system. This is where you affect the depth of field. Larger f-stops are smaller openings, backwards of course. If you want a large depth of field you use a larger number which means the opening in the lens is smaller.

2. Exposure, the amount of time the lens is open to pass light. This mainly affects how bright the image is when you get the picture. If it is not right, colors can fade badly from overexposure or objects can be hard to see in the dark picture of an underexposure.

3. Focus, the adjustment that you make, or is automatically made, to bring the image into a sharp focus on the sensor for a given distance from your subject. Be sure to focus on the main subject of the picture. Some camera automatic settings, including on my camera, will focus on the glass instead of the fish. That means manual focus only when I am shooting fish pictures.

Then you get into things like the lens number. A 50 mm lens is about a typical lens for a decent camera. The numbers go up as your lens goes into the telephoto region and it is a way of saying how big the image will be on the sensor for a given object. Bigger numbers are bigger images. We call a lens a telephoto if it magnifies the picture. We call it a wide angle lens if it makes the image seem smaller, that kind is good for capturing large objects from fairly close distances. I use a zoom lens so the magnification is yet another thing to fiddle with.

I use a rather nice digital SLR called a D-80 so my options are almost akin to those on a professional camera. I have been playing with SLR cameras for quite a long time so many of the things just seem to come easy now. Now my real focus when trying to improve my picture taking options comes down to choosing the right lens for what I want to do. Unfortunately the lenses can cost more than the camera.

you cannot treat aperture and shutter speed separately. they are two, inseparable, parts of the same equation. even considering blur (shutter speed) and depth of field (aperture) adjusting one, or the other, incorrectly, will have the same effect. there will be too much, or too little light to make a picture.
apertures setting are ALWAYS known a F stops, not usually. a Stop is simply, a 50% decrease in light, or a 100% increase, in same.

Exposure is not the amount of time a film/ccd is exposed for. exposure is the result of adjusting both aperture and shutter speed. in other words the total amount of light the film receives.
the aperture controls the amount of light reaching the CCD. the shutter speed controls the length of time that amount of light is given.

most of you will be aware that the 50mm lens is no longer the "standard lens, for many DSLR's. "Standard lens" denotes a lens with, roughley the same field of view of the human eye. in the days of 35mm. that was 50mm (well actually 38-40mm is the best match. but 50mm stuck). today lengths from 17-35mm are considered "standard". if you really want to look into it. a standard lens is, roughly, the same as the diagonal measurement of the ccd.

most of us are not printing pictures. so, MP ratings of over 7MP, are largely, irrelevant. (you will need to look at "selective" sections of an image differently). but a bigger CCD will offer better quality pictures at 7MP than a smaller CCD would at 12MP. This is an effect of noise (electronic interference between the pixels).
taking good pictures is, for the most part, down to practice. but a few tips and rules help:

get as much light into the tank as you can.

set a low ISO (100/200) it makes it harder to take pictures (you will need more light) but the pictures will be of better quality than if you use Auto ISO

avoid reflections by keeping curtains closed.

if you have the facility, set a manual white balance before you take pictures.

a bit of tissue paper over the flash. can reduce burn out, and the harshness of contrast. (you will use flash honest)

instead of a big tripod (still very useful). get yourself a mini tripod. you can use this to brace against the tank (extra stability)

get used to a program like Photoshop/Paintshop pro or Gnome. as in the past, many photos are made in the darkroom. things have not changed.

but, ultimately, its down to practice. spend time with your camera and read the instructions.

Macro setting, ability to set huge aperture, fast auto focus and low grain at high ISO is my wishlist for fish photography.
I have a fuji bridge with macro but it's very grainy and auto focus is rubbish on fast moving objects like fish.
My main camera is a NikonD80 but I don't have a macro lens for it. The nifty fifty isn't too bad though.

What would a macro lens gain you, in fish tank photography (I understand it will be like using a magnifying glass on a small area but I'm looking for more of the tradeoffs and explanations as have been discussed above...)

Would it be useful a pretty small minority of the time or are they used quite extensively in photographs of individual fish etc.?

WD

Most reactions

Back