best and cheapest place to buy a 10 gallon?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m from the UK so don’t have the luxury of petcos a gallon a dollar sale 3(. In the UK a 10 gallon can easily cost you up to 65£ or around 80$. I was wondering if anyone knows anywhere slightly cheaper for 10 gallons ? Planning on having a cherry shrimp only highly planted tank hence why it’s not a huge tank :)

From a lockdown perspective, ebay, amazon, all Pond Solutions. Im sure there are more, potentially better ones. However as a fellow UK resident, they are my go to's.

Hey guys, I’m from the UK so don’t have the luxury of petcos a gallon a dollar sale 3(. In the UK a 10 gallon can easily cost you up to 65£ or around 80$. I was wondering if anyone knows anywhere slightly cheaper for 10 gallons ? Planning on having a cherry shrimp only highly planted tank hence why it’s not a huge tank :)
You could try to get a used tank from someone. I don't have the petco a gallon a dollar sale too so that's what I did

You could try to get a used tank from someone. I don't have the petco a gallon a dollar sale too so that's what I did and I don't regret it
It’s a real struggle. 30 gallon for £30 ;(( I’d pay that for a 3 gallon in the UK

30 gallons for 30£ is a good deal. (I’m in the US, and that’s a good deal here)

30 gallons for 30£ is a good deal. (I’m in the US, and that’s a good deal here)
I’m saying that’s a amazing! I’d do anything for that. That’s US prices. I was more saying that’s the price id love. Unfortunately in UK a 5 gallon Isaround 40£ ridiculous

Oh... I understand now. That is crazy.

Have you looked online? Like on GumTree?

Nothing too cheap, often collect yourslef which is q inconvenient. I feel like fish keeping in the UK is just a more expensive hobby, I mean £20 for a Betta... really? local pet shop really bumping their prices

Bettas can range up to that price here as well...

How much are veil Tails up there? Her they are around $3-$5. Crowntail are around $5-$8. Dumbo ears are around $8-$12 and so on. The price all depends on what betta it is.

I can’t really help you find a good deal, as I don’t live in the UK. @essjay, do you find that fishkeeping is expensive up there?

I am also a fish keeper in the UK and yes! Fish keeping is extremely expensive over here I paid £120 for a 15 gallon tank, and £60 for a 5 gallon. Your average betta costs about £20 and neon tetras are even £4 a piece at my LFS. I also find this issue when keeping insects and other similar things which require terrariums and even plastic cups for fruit flies are stupidly expensive. But after I wasted so much money on the tanks I realised that gum tree is probably the best place. Even pets4homes can be good, if you are willing to take in the fish with it you should be able to find free tanks.

Holy cow!

15g tanks over here cost only $15.

Neon tetras cost $2.00- $2.50, bettas cost $4-$15. I never knew it was so expensive up there!o_O

Most of the tanks in the UK are branded all-in-one systems, which puts the price up. I did pick up an Aqua One 23 litre tank recently - just over 6 gallons - for £30 for just a tank and cover glasses. They were selling it cheap because there was no filter, heater or light. I was pleased with that because I wanted a new tank for my betta and already had a heater, filter and light from the old tank so I didn't have to pay extra for them.

As for betta prices, one shop is selling plain coloured veiltails for £6. Fancier bettas start at about £12.

It’s a bit difficult on lockdown but I got two 10 gallon tanks for very little just before m. One of them was on eBay for £6, it needed a good clean and a new bulb. The other that turned out to be identical I got on freegle/freecycle, with filters and heaters and a number of other bits I didn’t have to pay anything for. I did have to be patient and keep checking my local area and searching eBay by postcode.

I am also a fish keeper in the UK and yes! Fish keeping is extremely expensive over here I paid £120 for a 15 gallon tank, and £60 for a 5 gallon. Your average betta costs about £20 and neon tetras are even £4 a piece at my LFS. I also find this issue when keeping insects and other similar things which require terrariums and even plastic cups for fruit flies are stupidly expensive. But after I wasted so much money on the tanks I realised that gum tree is probably the best place. Even pets4homes can be good, if you are willing to take in the fish with it you should be able to find free tanks.
And fancy guppies can cost £30 a pair not including postage that is up to £30 too

Most reactions

Back