Best 2Nd Filter

FishyWishie

Fishaholic
Reaction score
On my new 370L custom build I'll be running an Eheim Pro 3 2080 to provide the biological filtration primarily but what I'd really like to do is have a 2nd smaller filter dedicated solely to mechanical filtration what would be a good choice ? I was debating picking up a cheap Eheim 2217.

On my new 370L custom build I'll be running an Eheim Pro 3 2080 to provide the biological filtration primarily but what I'd really like to do is have a 2nd smaller filter dedicated solely to mechanical filtration what would be a good choice ? I was debating picking up a cheap Eheim 2217.

I would go with the 2217.

If you already have a filter to provide all of your bio-filtration needs, try almost any high flow filter with a fairly tight mechanical filtration ability. I tend to use either a sponge filter media or a floss media when my objective is good particulate removal. The brand name on the box does not seem to matter at all. (Sorry all you fans of one brand or another.)

As a newbie to this how would two filters work? Do you run them in series, ie the mechanical one feeds the bio one or are they in parallel and the physical stuff is free to pass through the bio filter (and doesn't cause any issues)?
thanks
miles

As a newbie to this how would two filters work? Do you run them in series, ie the mechanical one feeds the bio one or are they in parallel and the physical stuff is free to pass through the bio filter (and doesn't cause any issues)?
thanks
miles

its possible. but there is little advantage over two separate filters. and is a complicated setup.

thing is, with externals. scavenging waste is a vital part of their job. the idea being to trap waste and allow it to release ammonia, whilst in the filter. so i would suggest a separate mechanical unit is best.

OM47 makes a valid point. but as they will be more often cleaned, than the bio unit, reliability and build quality need to be good. (most filters dont get bust, whilst working. its usually when we are working on them.)

the 2217 would do a fine job, if you already have one. I'm unsure its worth buying one just for this job. on reflection though, if you are a long term fishkeeper, why not buy what is perceived as the best? i cant see any reason a filter would be more reliable, if it had no biological imperative. and the extra cleaning involved, as i have said, may make, reliability/build quality, more important.

If you are running two filters, simply mount them separately and run them. Each will get the flow it is designed to use and each will do its job. I only use multiple filters on one tank because I figure one spare filter, ready to go with a bacterial colony, is enough to cover any equipment failures I might have. That spare ran on the same 120 gallon community tank for years before I actually needed it. When I did need it, I simply carried it to the tank that had lost a filter and plugged it in. I believe in being prepared for failures but I am not fanatic about it. It turned out to take me over 3 months to replace the failed filter and I did not worry about not having a spare that whole time.

Most reactions

Back