Ben's 400l Wet Thing

ben1987

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Right-o
Thought i would make a new tank thread been as i have a new tank :)

The display is a corner tank 310L

The sump is my old 3' display tank another 120L, not quite filled up. So i reckon about 400L totals about fair.

So we have gone from this. my old tank a few months ago

Photo-0047.jpg

To my mum getting annoyed with there being a glass box dumped bang smack in the middle of the living room

Photo-0015-1.jpg

Although i think she prefered that mess to this mess - my computer room after stripping the old tank down.

Photo-0017-2.jpg

Yes the barrel of beer was the most important thing there :shout:
What you cant see is the water butt filling with RO and the other tub holding old tank water.

Then some of you know the story with the door frame! anyway...to cut that short, we were pushing it through the door frame. After taking the two doors off. We hit a snag, half way through we got a little stuck. Out came the powertools and chisels. 30 mins later no door frame but a tank in the right room.
There is a pic of me with the tank wedged in the door frame looking a bit hot and sweaty - slightly miffed too. Will try find it for you.

But anyways....It looks like this today.

Photo-0019.jpg

Pics took under 250W halides with two blue T5's. Excuse the middile divider. My mates started a tank and the rock on the left it his. Its crawling with pods - even through the day. Loads of little corals too. A fair bits nicely covered with purple too. The other rock was from the bottom of the pile.

The wires and powerheads wont be there long either. Just til i get time.

I plan on upgrading my V2 400 skimmer soon for something meaty.
A single vortech mp40 will provide the flow and il upgrade the return pump. Got 7X sump turnover at the mo. The bubble problem from the return you can see is a temp fix too, the pipes just taped over the side at the min.

Ill be buying a shed load more rock soon.
runnung 500W worth of heaters, think thats everything :S

:good: :fish: :good:

I see what you meant, ther is some beautiful colour to your mates rock!!

Always nice to see a new journal too.

I see what you mean about the computer room, am amazed you actually managed to move in there. I am sure the photo of you with the tank stuck will be amusing now, but a definatley not at the time.

Will look stunning once scaped, so many options, really good depth on that tank. Are you going with islands or something different??

Look forward to more photies :good:

Keep me posted on the Vortech MP40, looking to run one or two of these in the upgrade.
You mum has the patience of a saint. What about that door frame, I cant believe there was no arguments about that.
Some nice pieces of rock there Ben looking forward to see what you can do with them.
You going for SPS this time around or a mixture of softies.
Regards
BigC

looking good :cool: what kind of fish do you have in there?

Cheers, at the minute there is...
2 clowns
1 bi-colour blenny
1 dottyback
1 coral beauty (belongs to the lad with all the rock)
1 small banner fish

I see what you meant, ther is some beautiful colour to your mates rock!!

Always nice to see a new journal too.

I see what you mean about the computer room, am amazed you actually managed to move in there. I am sure the photo of you with the tank stuck will be amusing now, but a definatley not at the time.

Will look stunning once scaped, so many options, really good depth on that tank. Are you going with islands or something different??

Look forward to more photies :good:

I duno on scape yet, il want to keep the majority of rock under the halide cos i fancy SPS this time. Ill just fiddle and see. Im moving the other rock to the sump soon. So i can scape.

Keep me posted on the Vortech MP40, looking to run one or two of these in the upgrade.
You mum has the patience of a saint. What about that door frame, I cant believe there was no arguments about that.
Some nice pieces of rock there Ben looking forward to see what you can do with them.
You going for SPS this time around or a mixture of softies.
Regards
BigC

She wasnt impressed :shifty:
I will do, i wont be buying it for a couple of months though. But il send you lots of videos when i do.
Oh and i fancy an SPS dominated cental area. With Lps and my two or 3 softies filling the odd gap. I dont want to get rid of anything i have now so they will be in there somehwere.

Woo hoo, am settling down with popcorn to await the picture of sweaty man pushing and pulling a tank through a door way that is too small :lol:

Am so looking forward to watching this tank develop :good:

Seffie x

:fish:

I think its on my RAF mates phone whos away on a big mission thing so you will need a lot of popcorn :p

OOhhh, Ben's new tank journal. Add one watching with interest. Gosh, the mess in the computer room. If it were my mum, I likely wouldn't be alive to write a journal about it :lol:

Getting there ben :D keep eye out on ebay had some bargins on live rock paid £50 for 20kilo few fish and power heads and just another £90 for 30kilo and few snails ect ect

Soo keep your eyes out on ebay :D

OOhhh, Ben's new tank journal. Add one watching with interest. Gosh, the mess in the computer room. If it were my mum, I likely wouldn't be alive to write a journal about it :lol:

Lol, she actually quite likes my fish, and never goes in the computer room anyway so it wasnt so bad!

Getting there ben :D keep eye out on ebay had some bargins on live rock paid £50 for 20kilo few fish and power heads and just another £90 for 30kilo and few snails ect ect

Soo keep your eyes out on ebay :D

Cheers mate, will do

Lookin good Ben, count me among the many that can't wait to see the scape

Right ok, things have changed a little. Took some very bad pics to show you. my mates rock is now in the sump. I made a box out of egg crate i was hoping to make a decent cave out of, just looks crap where you can see the crate though.

Im going to do the reef bones and foam thing an make a couple of nice structures a bit later on.

Photo-0019-1.jpg

Photo-0025-1.jpg

if you squint you can just see blenny :p
Photo-0018.jpg

Photo-0009-3.jpg

Photo-0029-1.jpg

this came with my mates LR...not bad eh? he got some of the best LR ive ever seen
Photo-0026-1.jpg

the coral beauty is his too, stunner. Got a neon blue rim around him and green cheeks too
Photo-0023-1.jpg

how empty?
Photo-0029-1.jpg

all the powerheads will be swapped for a vortec, the return will get sorted. Then there will be more rock and hopefully a background.

how empty?

You have to make a start somehow Ben.

Looking nice, once you get some more rock you should be able to hide the egg crate.

Love the Coral Beauty, thats the dwarf angel we will go for in the 55g. Good luck with the background, will be watching that closely.

I have read another thread where you admit to becoming a member of the nem club!!

Any chance of some pictures of it??

Wow looking good Ben.

I have just read the foam/rock wall link in other thread, it did look amazing, but on last page it says that the tank has been disantled, Didn't read whole thread so don't know why this was, it looked fantastic, do you know why tank was dismantled, save me reading it all :blush: was it an issue with the wall, I am slightly concerned that over time it might be eroded and the foam will cause an issue in the tank.

Any thoughts :crazy:

Is that your nem in picture 4 on the overhang?

Most reactions

Back