Beginners Questions

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OR FORKTAILS. TRY FORKTAILS. THEY'RE SO COOL OMG TRY FORKTAIL RAINBOWFISH

You could do that, but on personal opinion I would try something other than neons purely from personal preference(neons are kinda boring imo, maybe black neons and gouramis(some will argue)) if that's your only stocking, you can put some shrimp and snails in there (preferably nerite snails(will not take over a freshwater tank because they need brackish to breed), and caridina/neocaridina shrimp). For clean up crew maybe otocinclus and amano shrimp, and if you're brave a bristle nose, but some members might argue that's overstocked or will need a bigger tank, so I won't argue that.

EDIT: didn't see the honey gouramis. Yeah they should be fine
Ok!
Thank You so much! I really appreciate it :) :) :) :)

Questions About a new idea:
-Could Panda Corys or Salt and pepper corydoras be happy in this 20 gal? Or would a longer 10gal make them happier?
- Tank size aside, I know they like sand but would floating AND planted plants be a bother to them?
Thanks!!!

Ok!
Thank You so much! I really appreciate it :) :) :) :)

Questions About a new idea:
-Could Panda Corys or Salt and pepper corydoras be happy in this 20 gal? Or would a longer 10gal make them happier?
- Tank size aside, I know they like sand but would floating AND planted plants be a bother to them?
Thanks!!!
They will do amazing in planted tanks, sand is ideal bottom, but they don't care about plants, if anything it's better because it provides natural cover. Floating plants(except duckweed) are good for any tank, unless it's extremely heavily planted and doesn't have CO2

They will do amazing in planted tanks, sand is ideal bottom, but they don't care about plants, if anything it's better because it provides natural cover. Floating plants(except duckweed) are good for any tank, unless it's extremely heavily planted and doesn't have CO2
Ok! Thanks! So do you think They would like to have a 20 gal tall, or a 10 gal long, or I should search for a 20 gal long? Thanks a ton!!:thanks:

I don't know too much about corys, so other members would be better for that question, but imo probably yes, if you have a big enough pack of them. actually, don't go with rainbows if you're doing an acidic water tank. They prefer neutral to slightly alkaline water.

I don't know too much about corys, so other members would be better for that question, but imo probably yes, if you have a big enough pack of them. actually, don't go with rainbows if you're doing an acidic water tank. They prefer neutral to slightly alkaline water.
Ok Thanks. Will wait for response on tank, because I love the look of the black and white corys!!! Thank you so much for all the help you’ve given!!! :)

Shrimp- does color matter?
Nerites are the best snail right?

Ok! Thanks! So do you think They would like to have a 20 gal tall, or a 10 gal long, or I should search for a 20 gal long? Thanks a ton!!:thanks:
well reading your tank size again, they would probably be fine, but some members might argue otherwise. However, if you are able to get a 20gal long, you should. Corys don't really care too much about plants, just kinda make sure the water parameters are right, and they should be fine. However, try not to plant any new plants while they're in there as they are notorious for uprooting new plants. I would avoid carpeting plants unless another member who's more versed in corys says otherwise, because they probably like sand better.
EDIT:

Ok Thanks. Will wait for response on tank, because I love the look of the black and white corys!!! Thank you so much for all the help you’ve given!!! :)

Shrimp- does color matter?
Nerites are the best snail right?
No and yes. I would go for caridina shrimp purely because they're prettier, but more expensive. And nerites are the best snail if you're looking for algae cleanup, just make sure you have the tank cycled and algae growing to avoid them starving. They will lay eggs, but they will not hatch. They can be unsightly, so to remove just scrape them off.

If I were you I would get the water params right and then try a planted/silent cycle, as that is likely faster.

Last edited:
Tropica is a good brand, but can be expensive.

well reading your tank size again, they would probably be fine, but some members might argue. However, if you are able to get a 20gal long, you should. Corys don't really care too much about plants, just kinda make sure the water parameters are right, and they should be fine. However, try not to plant any new plants while they're in there as they are notorious for uprooting new plants. I would avoid carpeting plants unless another member who's more versed in corys says otherwise, because they probably like sand better.
I believe I could but let’s say I couldn’t. Would a 10 gal long/ 20 gal tall be too small to make them happy? Thanks a million!

Tropica is a good brand, but can be expensive.
Ok! I was planning on buying from local or ”Your Fish stuff” but I will look into that!!

Ps. Water lilies (flower) — are these just for ponds or aquariums too? I was thinking of getting some other plants like Java too. But will just go with other if lilies are not recommended .

THANKS TO EVERYONE. I’m beginner and would know next to nothing without the help of everyone else :) thanks!!!

Generally speaking, longer tanks are better than taller tanks because of the surface area, top and bottom. The water surface being greater in a 20g long as opposed to a 20g high (standard) means more surface for the gas exchange (oxygen and CO2). But with respect to the substrate, the greater area in the long means more options for fish that have more swimming room.

So, a 20g long is a better choice than a 20g tll (regular). But, having said that, there is then the 29g basic which has the same footprint, but the additional height. I have come to really like this tank, it opens up more options again while taking up the exact same footprint. Of curse the weight has to be kept in mind.

I don't know the 10g long, what are the dimensions? Ten gallons is really limiting your space for fish though, I mean half that of a 20g.

Ok! I was planning on buying from local or ”Your Fish stuff” but I will look into that!!
Local shops likely have tropica, they are just wholesale aquatic plant retailers. If your local ones don't then there are probably some local but not too far ones that carry tropica. They're just better because they don't come with pests.

Generally speaking, longer tanks are better than taller tanks because of the surface area, top and bottom. The water surface being greater in a 20g long as opposed to a 20g high (standard) means more surface for the gas exchange (oxygen and CO2). But with respect to the substrate, the greater area in the long means more options for fish that have more swimming room.

So, a 20g long is a better choice than a 20g tll (regular). But, having said that, there is then the 29g basic which has the same footprint, but the additional height. I have come to really like this tank, it opens up more options again while taking up the exact same footprint. Of curse the weight has to be kept in mind.

I don't know the 10g long, what are the dimensions? Ten gallons is really limiting your space for fish though, I mean half that of a 20g.
As I said before, my space for a tank is 25 in long by 16 in wide… Has anyone ever heard of a long tank that long? (Not being sarcastic, asking truly, had anyone heard of one? I cant find any...Will keep searching though :) )
I only want salt And pepper corries in their group and some nerites +plants. :)
Thanks to all!

Last edited:
As I said before, my space for a tank is 25 in long by 16 in wide… Has anyone ever heard of a long tank that long? (Not being sarcastic, asking truly, had anyone heard of one? I cant find any...Will keep searching though :) )
I only want salt And pepper corries in their group and some nerites +plants. :)
Thanks to all!

The length of the tank will have to be limited to 24 inches (60 cm) to fit into a 25-inch space, keep in mind the stand needs to extend beyond the tank frame to support it. This length of tank, with a width of 12 inches (30 cm) applies to a standard 15g and standard (high) 20g. Of these two, the 20g gives you more volume so that is a plus--water quality is somewhat easier in greater volume tanks.

If you have a soft sand substrate, a group of say 8 to 10 cories will work. I would however recommend some upper level fish, which could be a group of very small fish (tetras, rasboras) as these will make the cories more settled. There are species in the "nano" size, like Ember Tetras, one of the dwarf rasboras in the genus Boraras, or similar.

Most reactions

Back