Been Preggers For A Long Time

Ricky Savage

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have 3 female platies in with a long male and the one female has been fat for quite some time now. all three females are pretty scared of the male with the two skinnier ones forever hiding. The male is very nippy, he goes after all three of them, he doesnt bother the white skirt cuz the white skirt has showed him a thing or two when he tried...haha...is the reason she has not gave birth because she is not comfortable with the harrassing male? cuz i heard they can abort their lot if their not comfortable?

thanks

Having skinny fish is not normal, how skinny are they?
As it can be fish tb to internal parasites.
Check the anus of the fish to see if its enlarged or red and inflamed.
What does it look like when they go to the toilet.
Can you see any worms prutruding from the anus.

Yes, it's quite possible she is bothered by the harassing male. It sounds like the other females hide, so all of the male's attention is on her? Is there any way to separate them, or do you just have one tank?

Edit ~ Just read your signature. You could move the male into the 20g for a bit, to give the females a break, and perhaps a chance for the pregnant one to give birth.

thanks yeah i could do that, would he be a bother to my schools of tetras?....and to reply to the first response, the other two arent "sickly" skinny i just meant skinner than the fat one, their normal size for platy...thanks

Probably not nearly as much as he is bothering the females. I think they'd be fine. Just keep an eye on them for the first few days, to make sure there isn't too much aggression.

Most reactions

Back